CCTV Security

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
A cheap way to get yourself some video security is to use IP cameras, these cameras will use eiather a wired or a wireless network connection to your computer and your computer will do the recording. This is a good option as you will be using a computer for your show machine and so when the show is off the computer can be used as your survellance camera recorder. These cameras can be bought for around $100 and all you need to search for is an IP camera.
This is the option illbe taking this year as a full dedicated surveillance system is out of my budget.

The other thing that should be bought for security is a couple of security sensor lights placed around the yard. The combination of video security and securty lighting should hopefully be enough to deter any scum bags that want to either steal or destroy your display elements

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I cannot answer whether this applies to wireless IP cameras, but with regular "wireless" cameras with a 2.4Ghz AV receiver, the receiver is supposed to be left indoors. This usually means some distance to the camera, which will introduce video interference to the signal. It won't be obvious during the day but by night when the white-balance mode is activated, it will become more obvious. The AV-sender style cameras may also weaken the effectiveness of a WiFi network depending on which channels you set and how crowded the WiFi frequencies area in your area.

If I had a second chance I would have gotten a wired camera instead, as you have to run a power lead anyhow. Whats an extra cable for the video signal.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I agree with Eddy on the IP camera. The only thing I've found is that although they all have there own software to record and view live on the Web if you want to view it through your iPhone or similar device not all models are supported. Check with the apps web site first they have a list of supported devices.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I agree about the wireless cameras. They can be prone to general interference and generally degrade the usable resolution (picture quality). There can also be issues with other nearby 2.4GHz devices causing lack of effective range.

IP cameras can be ok, but some will not be "full motion" so can miss the exact point where someone faces the camera which can make identification harder. Some only take a snap every second or so.

A wired connection will always be better quality, whether it be a DMX signal, audio or camera video.

Also be aware that there are different resolutions of CCTV cameras, usually express as "380 TVL", etc. Some of the really cheap ones are woeful and do not allow effective identification. The higher the number the better, so it pays to compare what's out there. Unlike the TV shows, you can't just "enhance" the image if it doesn't contain enough lines of information in the first place!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
identifcation may not be the important thing here for security, whats important is the visable presence of security. Most IP cameras and sub $200 cameras will not be of any great benifit for identification depending on how far the camera is away from the person. But the intending theif/scum bag wont know what camera you may have. Even using fake camera boxes will help greatly as well but always use sensor security lighting as nothing more a theif or scum bag hate is being visable.

But on saying all that if your got the money nothing beats a dedicated security camera system and the higher the resolution the better the chances of getting a useful identification.

kel

Dedicated elf
A few years ago, after two break ins, we installed an IP system (Geovision) with 8 cameras (2 internal) to cover front and back (we have a back lane way) ... all motion controlled (very sensitive) + we added a motion light sensor unit and put up signs (which by law, you need to do ... a privacy thing)

Then a year later, at Christmas, our visiting crims, stopped by to chat ... and they said, "We can only see one camera!"

... and guess, which one ...

Not a camera ... but the motion sensor light!!! LOL!

Seriously though, to identify 'hoodies', you need cameras on the ground ... and if the police are doing their duty (which, in my case, they were), they would be easily able to identify those that are wearing a 'hoodie' on a hot Summer's night!

cenote

Suburbs of Philadelphia
Recently purchased another full system at my house, wasn't happy with the cheapie stuff.

As said above, IMO do not buy anything less than 500 tv-lines, and stay away from the 1/4" iris cameras. Bigger is always better in video. I have two cameras @ 520 lines, and two cameras @ 650 lines, and the rest are 400 There is night and day difference between the two in both color, and in night vision. I post some pics this weekend showing the difference between 300,500,600 line cameras if you would like. I was able to go to the local electrical supply house and pick up a roll of 500' of rj-45 with 18/2 wire next to it, fairly cheap (under $60). Don't forget, if you go this route, you need some sort of crimping tool for the BNC connectors, and also, make sure you pick up some female power leads for the cameras to crimp on.

Now if anybody has a way of keeping the spiders from climbing on the lenses every night and setting off the motion dedectors, please post ;)

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi,
personally, after some years and testing cheap models, i used this double cams (day and night).
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190330995754&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
The good advantage, they are really 2 cams in same box (Color Day cam and Night B/W cam) small and working now since 2 years and i added 2 this summer to my installation.
Now about Balun/RJ45, take care, in most of cases the cable lenght is very important because even if in Day mode this is OK, when you switch to night, you will need more power for the IR Led, so take carre about power supply for that. The limitation using power through the Balun is more or less 25 meters (Standard RJ cable), after you will need to use local PSU near the cam.
Also there are different Balun : 2 wires in the Lan cable for power supply transmission or 4 wires for the PSU.
So makes all difference...
Now Regarding IP cams, this is also problematic as each manufacturer uses their own protocol. So no standard dial. The most relevant now is to use IP ONVIF cams, who answers to the Plug and Play rules. Now yes you can mix IP cams in your CCTV system.
Last point and very important : the noise in dark mode....
This is why the upper model i used is a fantastic compromise. Really works in complete dark without Noise and fantastic view.
Hope this helps.
Henri

Brownie

I am new here
I have been thinking about this for some time. Over the last few years (tough wood) I have been lucky with no issues or vandalism but there have been a coupe of break ins in the area over the last 6 to 12 months. so that has now brought the topic of security to the front of my mind again.

The system I am looking at is one that is standalone and has the potential to be monitored from anywhere any time as it will obviously not just be for Christmas time and the display in the front yard but a permanent installation and will cover a number of areas around the house.

This is the system I am looking at, http://www.rhinoco.com.au/product/DVR4ENTPACK4

The deal I have got at the moment is the complete package and a 19" LCD monitor for $799

I do not have any personal experience with this or any other systems, but this one does look like it fills all my requirements.

I did not really answer any questions or offer any solutions just really adding another comment or option for discussion.

Regards,
Brownie

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
cenote said:
Brownie said:
This is the system I am looking at, http://www.rhinoco.com.au/product/DVR4ENTPACK4
Regards,
Brownie

Seems a little pricey, look at these : http://cctvdirectbuy.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=23

Not sure if they ship over seas, but been dealing with them for a while, and have had nothing but positive experience.
Looks like the place to buy it and they appear to ship to Australia.
Bad news for us is that it seems Postage is $310

aarpwa

New elf
Hi Guys,

I have a general year round setup that i use for home security.

I use a service called gotocamera.com, $40 a year and you can have up-to 4 "webcams" It's compatible with PC, Android and iPhone. You can you view video, snapshots from any browser, or smart phone, and you can also upload images, and videos to the "cloud" and also locally on your PC.

I then have 4 USB security cameras from china connected. One dedicated PC and monitor that is on all the time, and i can
check from anywhere in the world.

BradsXmasLights

WiFi Interactive
I've got a few cheap analogue 420TVL cameras off eBay. I've had mixed results, but overall they work good for the $50/camera average

The more traditional full body cameras will generally be better in low light - eg: bigger lens. I agree with the comment above about 1/4 bring crap - i'm only going 1/3 "Sony" (or so they claim) chips now. Providing the cameras can see IR light, adding more IR light helps a lot. Here's some screenshots of my gear... http://www.overclockers.com.au/pix/index.php?page=image&id=e4i38

As for the DVR, I'm currently using a low-power Intel Atom dual-core PC with a PCI analogue capture card, which runs Linux/Zoneminder. Zoneminder, has a web-based interface, and has a great history 'timeline' function - so at a glance you can just look for any spikes of activity/movement detected. Although it's struggling CPU wise on my gutless - but energy-saving Atom PC - which is limiting the Frame rate (and effectively number of cameras) i can connect.

After doing some more research lately, I'm 90% sure I'm going to buy DVR this from Hong-Kong now...http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/484218127-DAHUA-16-channel-1080P-full-D1-DH-DVR1604HF-A-digital-video-recorder-wholesalers.html to replace the PC/ZoneMinder. They have an 8ch version for $50 cheaper - but i figure 16ch is better value for money. Videos of it on youtube and the client software I've played with so far (although not being able to actually connect it to anything) appears to be quite solid too.

cenote said:
Now if anybody has a way of keeping the spiders from climbing on the lenses every night and setting off the motion dedectors, please post ;)
A ring of Vasoline around the base stops them from crawling up.

Greg Young

New elf
kel said:
A few years ago, after two break ins, we installed an IP system (Geovision) with 8 cameras (2 internal) to cover front and back (we have a back lane way) ... all motion controlled (very sensitive) + we added a motion light sensor unit and put up signs (which by law, you need to do ... a privacy thing)

Then a year later, at Christmas, our visiting crims, stopped by to chat ... and they said, "We can only see one camera!"

... and guess, which one ...

Not a camera ... but the motion sensor light!!! LOL!

Seriously though, to identify 'hoodies', you need cameras on the ground ... and if the police are doing their duty (which, in my case, they were), they would be easily able to identify those that are wearing a 'hoodie' on a hot Summer's night!

Kel, I also have been running the Geovision system for a few years now. Currently am using 6 cameras (night vision, color during the day) being fed by 75 ohm video cable with attached 16 gauge DC cable.
It may have been a little more expensive than some alternatives on the market, but with all of the options (especially remote viewlog, etc) you can certainly do anything with it, and as you know this is built to last. It truly is a commercial/professional system, but at a consumer price.
Nice to see another Geovision user out there!
Greg