Cheap Computer Sources

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Well, pain in the bum thing happened today - went to turn on the show computer for the first time since last year and dead harddrive. Oh :( This computer was built with old computer parts and I've run out of old computers to get parts from.
Having a quick look around Grays Online at the mo, but can anyone suggest any other sources for cheap machines for a dedicated show computer?
Thanks

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
www.msy.com.au or cpl.net.au do nice cheap pc prices for new stuff.
Depending on your display elements and number of channels and what animation software you're using it might be the time to hit the turbo button.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Gamedude can be a little difficult to deal with sometimes. Expect a really long wait for service if calling in there on a Saturday too.

Both Umart and Computer Alliance are good ones in Brisbane. I usually use Computer Alliance these days.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
http://www.reboot-it.com.au/refurbished-computers-core-c-1_66.html looks like they have same 2nd hand machines as you found but cheaper. With the price of new pc's these days i haven't even considered buying anything 2nd hand. You can get a reasonable lappy or desktop these days from a few hundred and you've got a nice long warranty, plenty of speed and there's very little chance that in the middle of December something will go pooooooof.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Thanks, I did look at them and they're more expensive with the machine I was looking at (inc. postage as well), I was looking at the P4s - which is more powerful than the machine it will replace. You have a very valid point with a new machine, price, warranty, etc. At a different time of year and different personal circumstance (I want to get married more than buying a dedicated lights machine, crazy I know) I'd go with a newer machine. For the moment under $100 will work. :D Sorry, you didn't need to know all that ramble . . . .
I will go back to these sites after Christmas to build a nice new machine. Hopefully someone else will find the info helpful too.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hey guys, thought I would follow this up. Ordered an old PC from expresspcparts.com.au as well as a TP-Link wireless usb adapter for $114 (inc. postage) really happy with it. Placed order last Monday and arrived today (so exactly a week). I'd buy from them again.
Thanks again for the tips. :)