Cheap pixel controller

CarlosF

New elf
Hi Everybody,

New to the whole Christmas lights game- it’s my second year of putting together a front yard display. Last year I bought a bunch of solar stuff and a few 240v products - Rookie mistake but all a learning experience.

This year I’m keen on getting a simple pixel light controller and a few led flat strip lights to frame the gutters.

I found a cheap controller, power supply and strips on Alli Express

Any advice on the attached would be great. I do’nt want to break the bank

cheers
Carlos

Attachments

• 3AAFDB3B-8928-43C3-9989-EDD7A7C98B6C.png
    3AAFDB3B-8928-43C3-9989-EDD7A7C98B6C.png
    726.8 KB · Views: 37

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I would spend my money on something that can be controlled locally and via E1.31 should you chose to do your own sequences later down the line. For example, a controller from the QuinLED series.

The Uno https://quinled.info/pre-assembled-quinled-dig-uno/ will give you 2 outputs of digital pixel control (One by default and 2 with a little work)
The Quad https://quinled.info/pre-assembled-quinled-dig-quad/ gives you 4 outputs of digital pixel control.

These controllers run WLED, which by default has its own effects, and can take data from Xlights should you chose to go down that route later on.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Before jumping into that and maybe wasting more money, if you haven't already, download the xmas 101 manual and have a read as there is a heap of information in there about everything xmas lighting related.
The controller there looks to be a basic controller that will make the led's do basic functions (much like a extreme version of a bunnings string)
If that is all you want then go for it, but if you are looking at getting into it a little more and want to control the lights to music etc, then look a little further. There are heaps of options out there and you may be able to get someone to sell a second hand one to you a bit cheaper and get it quicker.
Also, strips are great if you are leaving them up and not too rough on them, otherwise a lot of people find them very fragile and easy to break, which makes for a hard repair. I personally have a heap in my show, but I also understand the risks.
I have found that cheap power supplies can be bought cheaper on ebay rather than direct from china, however, i have not looked in a couple years.

kevr

Full time elf
Generous elf
I just got hold of a QuinLED-Dig-Quad and a couple of QUINLED DIG2GO to play with to run a few lights out the back yard for my wife's setup. She laboriously laid rows of Bunnings strings last year and I thought I could save her some time by cable tying some seed pixels to plastic mesh and run them off WLED which is looking like an easier than expected option.

Long back story sorry, I would give the Quad ago I paid a little extra on the shipping and got it in NZ in less than a week, the app is available for free and is easy to use. There are lots of different effects in the software so you'd be off to the races pretty quick, if you only want to drive a few pixels you could even get the cheaper option.

The beauty of the Quad is it will be able to be used when/if you get into xLights.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
It’s worth noting we are suggesting stuff that’s a little more $$ to get started. But it does have better longevity.
of the things in that bundle:
  1. The power supply is *ok*. You can get “better” ones but it will probably work fine for you for years
  2. The controller is the main issue - it will be limiting if you try and do much else with it
  3. The strip has a challenge. From what I understand of IP65 strip - it’s waterproof from the front. So if it gets wet behind it- you might have an issue with it. Also - the adhesive (even on the good strip) is pretty rubbish - so you want something to stick/attach it with (there is diffuser channel - which makes it look better and more permanent - but that will add to your price)

CarlosF

New elf
Thanks to everyone for there advice - I do have networking experience and smart home experience. I'll do some more reading and look at that Quinn product line. Any other product advice to research I would be interested to hear about.

thewanderingpine

Full time elf
what do you want to do with the lights in the short/medium/long terms?

instead of the ip65 strip — you could look at some of the neon flex stuff. It’s waterproof and looks much better. How long is your gutter section?

CarlosF

New elf
what do you want to do with the lights in the short/medium/long terms?

instead of the ip65 strip — you could look at some of the neon flex stuff. It’s waterproof and looks much better. How long is your gutter section?
I’ve run neon RGB flex in my garage and automated it when my garage door opens the neon flex all through the ceiling works turns on. Works like a charm!
I would like to start small and scale up as I go along each year.

This was last years basic and very humble effort. I didn’t even know how to clips the lights on the roof without gutter hooks - sigh 🤪🤪🤪

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmECpNfgGfp/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

Any way upward and onwards all good experience.

Happy just to do the gutter properly this year and muddle through the garden props. Most probably will make a megs tree about 4m as main centre feature.

cheers,
Carlos

Attachments

• FEB991E5-9580-40B4-A41A-1941BD8A273D.jpeg
    FEB991E5-9580-40B4-A41A-1941BD8A273D.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 7

CarlosF

New elf
FYI - Apologies ahead if I was a silly question please be patient with my learning curve.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
I bought 35 meters of RGB neon I used in the garage ceiling - but inside. How do you power them and control them for outside taking into account weather?
this is the video i watched to teach me everything i needed to know how to use them.. Really basic an simple.

CarlosF

New elf
I would spend my money on something that can be controlled locally and via E1.31 should you chose to do your own sequences later down the line. For example, a controller from the QuinLED series.

The Uno https://quinled.info/pre-assembled-quinled-dig-uno/ will give you 2 outputs of digital pixel control (One by default and 2 with a little work)
The Quad https://quinled.info/pre-assembled-quinled-dig-quad/ gives you 4 outputs of digital pixel control.

These controllers run WLED, which by default has its own effects, and can take data from Xlights should you chose to go down that route later on.
I found this video on you tube. I think this will do the job for four strings for the roof line.

Can I ask about software and control mechanism for the light effect? Can I use the app control