1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Common Cathode controllers

Discussion in 'Lights - Store Bought and Home Made' started by scamper, Nov 3, 2014.

1. scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I inherited a bunch of modified Bunnings (I think) LED's and they are all common Cathode (negative) but all the controllers I have are the opposite. Can someone suggest a controller that is not too expensive, that is dmx protocol for dumb strips?
    I have asked in chat and no-one there knows of anything, but thought I would put it out to the wider CLAP community.
    Any help is appreciated as I have a heap of these strings and they would be a great addition to my show.

2. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    A couple of questions. What do you call a heap and secondly do you have any idea of the current that they will be per channel?

3. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    I made a Prototype 9 channel DMX DC controller that can drive common -ve strings.

4. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    I got a packing box full, But there is only 8 strings that have been modified this way.
    They are already cable tied, taped and extensions soldered on.
    And it just so happens that I have 8 trees that need lights on. I started to modify some Big W strings and then got these, so I wanted to save myself some time. (they are also individual colours unlike the Big W ones)
    They are only short (50 or less) per channel, so 1 amp per channel would be heaps. But I need 32 channels.

5. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3CH-common-cathode-LED-DMX512DECODER-DMX512-Dimmers/1580986500.html
    I found these on aliexpress which look like they would possibly work, however, the strings need 30v.
    I have seen people use the 27ch controllers etc used up around 30v . Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Have you got any made that would work for what I need?
    As I said, I need 32 channels.

6. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Sorry, I forgot that I was going to reply to this. Here's a picture of the prototype.

I doubt they would be economical to use for 32 channels as each 9 channel board would sell for $60+

Attached Files:

7. OP
    OP
    scamper

scamper Senior Elf

Find Me On:
    Thanks, I also forgot to reply to myself :eek:
    I rewired the strings, I found that it wasn't too hard, just a little time consuming.
    But all is good, they are done and working quite well.