Common Cathode controllers

scamper

Dedicated elf
I inherited a bunch of modified Bunnings (I think) LED's and they are all common Cathode (negative) but all the controllers I have are the opposite. Can someone suggest a controller that is not too expensive, that is dmx protocol for dumb strips?
I have asked in chat and no-one there knows of anything, but thought I would put it out to the wider CLAP community.
Any help is appreciated as I have a heap of these strings and they would be a great addition to my show.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
A couple of questions. What do you call a heap and secondly do you have any idea of the current that they will be per channel?

scamper

Dedicated elf
AAH said:
A couple of questions. What do you call a heap and secondly do you have any idea of the current that they will be per channel?
I got a packing box full, But there is only 8 strings that have been modified this way.
They are already cable tied, taped and extensions soldered on.
And it just so happens that I have 8 trees that need lights on. I started to modify some Big W strings and then got these, so I wanted to save myself some time. (they are also individual colours unlike the Big W ones)
They are only short (50 or less) per channel, so 1 amp per channel would be heaps. But I need 32 channels.

scamper

Dedicated elf
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/3CH-common-cathode-LED-DMX512DECODER-DMX512-Dimmers/1580986500.html
I found these on aliexpress which look like they would possibly work, however, the strings need 30v.
I have seen people use the 27ch controllers etc used up around 30v . Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

David_AVD said:
I made a Prototype 9 channel DMX DC controller that can drive common -ve strings.
Have you got any made that would work for what I need?
As I said, I need 32 channels.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Sorry, I forgot that I was going to reply to this. Here's a picture of the prototype.

I doubt they would be economical to use for 32 channels as each 9 channel board would sell for $60+

Attachments

• apc761.jpg
    apc761.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 9

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks, I also forgot to reply to myself :eek:
I rewired the strings, I found that it wasn't too hard, just a little time consuming.
But all is good, they are done and working quite well.