Confirm/Order Acrylic white tube 50mm OD 3m long

Status
Not open for further replies.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
With the low numbers and rules against pricing changes before and after. I will have to cancel this bulk buy. Apologies to all those wanting this product but the financial burden is too great on myself.

Can I suggest you consider trying again around the time of the minis when many more members will be active and thinking about their shows?

mborg10

Michael Borg
darylc said:
With the low numbers and rules against pricing changes before and after. I will have to cancel this bulk buy. Apologies to all those wanting this product but the financial burden is too great on myself.

Can I suggest you consider trying again around the time of the minis when many more members will be active and thinking about their shows?
I don't think I will be revisiting bulk buys.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
Michael organising this stuff can be a nightmare and the last thing we want is for you to be out of pocket for something overlooked mate if you can get a moq order later i may still be interested depending on the price

Fing

Full time elf
Generous elf
Thanks Michael for your efforts.

I've been in similar situations and I know what it's like to have people dishonour their commitments and leave you carrying the bag. (hence my commitment to buy a few extra to help you met the MOQ)

I read the Rules, and to my bush lawyer skills I think they have been taken out of context.

I understand the restriction on deliberate reselling for profit, especially if there is limited quantities. This is no different to scalping, and should be discouraged and frowned upon. Rightly so.

But someone, in this case the manager, arranging for a product to be made; underwriting the order and taking on the not insignificant financial risks and costs involved; so that the MOQ is satisfied; so that everyone else can benefit; and then later on-selling those extra unwanted items, to cover their time and costs, is, in my opinion, a different matter.

I would argue that extra items purchased for the only reason to make up the MOQ (and underwrite the order) are different to the extra items mentioned in the rules. Especially if that extra amount was made available to all members prior. This is not the action of someone cornering the market for profit.

Perhaps the rules need a clarification ?

once again, thank you Michael

Cheers
Fing

Benslights

Dedicated elf
yeah this is the hard thing about group buys and as you say the way the dollar is going at the moment it is very hard to fix a price down. thanks for your efforts Michael.

in regards to revisiting the rules. I do not think this will be happening as they were sutup by the owner of the site and are very clear and have worked well since they were made 5 years ago.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
I just about made a loss with the strobe bulk buy that I did last year. I priced them in Aussie dollars but paid for everything in US dollars. The Aussie dollar was dropping reasonably fast at the time I was paying for things and a 3 day delay getting a final price from Ray Wu made a $100 difference in what I had to pay simply due to the change in exchange rates. On top of that there is the 3% that paypal takes out of every incoming transaction. Those 2 things really suck up the dollars if you're not careful.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Is there any reason bulk buys cannot be conducted in US$ to mitigate this risk in a falling environment?

Seems easy enough to send USD via paypal, and doesn't look to be against the rules.

lizardking

IT IS STILL ALL BENS FAULT
darylc said:
Is there any reason bulk buys cannot be conducted in US$ to mitigate this risk in a falling environment?

Seems easy enough to send USD via paypal, and doesn't look to be against the rules.
yes i agree daryl if we are purchasing in in US dollars then it is upto the individual who is purchasing to wrok out the conversion on the day of purchase if the rules state that no one is to profit or make money from bulk buys it is probably the easiest way to do it so the bulk buy organiser is not out of pocket as that is not fair either if Ryan or ben or another moderator can comment on this and maybe amend the rules if possible ,the way Piper Michael and myself did it was this way and the dollar conversion was worked out on the day of payment so no one loses out

Benslights

Dedicated elf
yeah I think that it is something we may have to look at. I know it is not easy as with my own online store I am now having to check the US pricing every few days and have made a lose on some sales due to not updating pricing

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
BensChristmasLights said:
yeah I think that it is something we may have to look at. I know it is not easy as with my own online store I am now having to check the US pricing every few days and have made a lose on some sales due to not updating pricing

The way the aussie dollar has behaved I think prices will be getting reviewed by all Australian vendors because within a 6 month period we have gone from trading around the 93cents to now being around the 77 to 78 cent mark, so no company importing anything can sustain those rate changes without passing on the increase. The days of cheap imports are definetly behind us now. I can remember buying at $1.09, how those days are now a distant memory.

I think trading in $US for goods that are bought in $US would be the better solution because Ben cant be expected to absorb any exchange differences when he is doing the community a favour

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
darylc said:

I don't think I will be revisiting bulk buys.

Doing a bulk buy is a lot of work and to expect someone to absorb any additional costs when they are already giving up their time is rich in my view. The Aussie dollar falling has made it hard. People should not critisize until you have done a group buy themselves and personally I think the current rules make doing a group buy risky and unrewarding and that is the reason we dont see many group buys.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
darylc said:
Ok so we have 66 tubes confirmed but I need a minimum of 100 before I will place the order. $20 per tube is the price of you pre order which covers cost but if you wait and want some after delivery they will be more expensive. So confirm your order ASAP

Isn't that against the rules of running a bulk buy in this section.

"The Bulk Buy manager may order reasonable levels of extra items at the time of the Bulk Buy, these units must be priced to match the Bulk Buy cost. The rules are for the benefit of the everyone."

Full rules at http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=202.0

If a group buy is done and the organiser orders more from his own pocket and then stores these then i cant see why he cant put his own price on because the group buy was completed under the rules. If extras are bought by the organsier to make the minimum then they are the organsiers product to do and sell in which ever way he pleases because without that risk and investment then a group buy would never happen because the minimum requirement was never met, just like in this case.

The rules cover all types of items so in this case where we are only dealing in a tube then the numbers can be easily identified compared to that of electronics where there is failures and so additional parts are orederd to cover this.

So for this excersise if Michael was willing to buy the additional product to meet the minimum requirement to allow the group buy to go ahead than anyone who is not part of that group buy may be charged more than the group buy because they are now buying outside of the group buy.

A group buy is not about keeping stock for people to order when they want, its about meeting Minimum order requirements to deal with factories and getting bulk order price discounts that then can be passed on to particiapants of that group buy

Habbosrus

Back again
Hey Michael, you deserve a huge pat on the back for all your efforts mate. I wasn't in on the group buy as it was outside of my range for this year but I followed along with interest as it looked like a great product.

darylc

404 darylc not found
Fasteddy said:
So for this excersise if Michael was willing to buy the additional product to meet the minimum requirement to allow the group buy to go ahead than anyone who is not part of that group buy may be charged more than the group buy because they are now buying outside of the group buy.

For what it's worth, I actually agree with this.

I gather we have no hope of getting any rule changes/clarifications approved though?

mborg10

Michael Borg
I have received a lot of private messages from people thanking me for my efforts and they are still keen to purchase the acrylic tube. I think there has been some confusion with rules and how they apply to certain situations. I don't challenge the rules, I don't make the rules and I definitely don't want to break the rules but I do want some acrylic tube.

Here is what I propose.
I will reopen the bulk buy with the MOQ 200 tubes.
Tubes are available at cost of AU$20+3% PayPal fees as per forum rules for a 3m length. I will keep it as AUD as half the cost is USD and the other I AUD. This is the cost price and it is available to everyone. Payment is to be made upfront. Freight from my place to yours is at your own cost and will be calculated at time of delivery. Payment to be made by PayPal.

I will fill the remainder of the order to make the MOQ. Once monies have been paid and the order is placed then the option of joining the bulk buy is over. Each individual committed to the bulk buy owns their acrylic tube. What they choose to do with it after this point is there own decision. If they choose to they can sell their tubes if they want too for whatever price they choose. Similar to someone selling unwanted items. This includes myself as I will no longer be running the bulk buy I will just be the owner of a large amount of spectacular acrylic tube. I won't be a vendor as this is not my product. I'm just a consumer with way too much tube.

If this is acceptable I'm happy to continue with the bulk buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.