Connect TigerDMX48 Board

Discussion in 'Computers, Cabling & Other Miscellaneous Hardware' started by toodle_pipsky, Oct 25, 2011.

1. toodle_pipsky

toodle_pipsky Minister of Silly Walks

Hi Guys,
    See this is what happens when you take a break from your hobby for 9 or so months - you forget or stuff breaks.
    Ok I have 2 TigerDMX48s which I'd like to use for my mega tree and etc. I at least used one last year no problems, so I know at some point I had everything hooked up fine and working. With the show computer dead (HD failure) I can't see how I set up Vixen or just simply test from a known working state.
    I've installed my Lynx dongle ok, both lights are on. When I connect a cat 5 cable to the Tiger, there are no lights appearing on the Tiger. Vixen had a brain fart too and shut down. Had a search around for the past hour and a half for destructions on what to do and found very little on this board, so I'm guessing someone must have talked me through it last year (?). Seems like the Tiger just came out and that was it.
    What I thought I did last year hasn't worked. Would someone be willing to just jot a quick step by step process of how to connect a TigerDMX48?

2. kevr

kevr Full Time Elf

Find Me On:
    Hi toodle_pipsky,

I have found this to be a handy tool for checking cables, controllers and SSRs, http://sourceforge.net/projects/xlights/ you can easily set up your dongle comm port and set the channel tests. If your not sure what the start address for the controller was just select all to make sure it is connecting and then work your way through using 1 or 16 at a time.

One thing to check is that the PC is seeing the dongle when you plug it into the USB port, I am using Vista and I didn't have to download any drivers for the dongle.

Kev :)

3. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

Thanks for the info. :)
    I can see the dongle, it's com 3 for me. On a side note I'm using XP for the show comp, might try it on another comp.

4. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

Tried another computer and the dongle installed just fine and still nothing.

I'm obviously missing something with the Tiger board itself. Does anyone have a spare second to just jot a list that says "Dummy plug thing here, other thing there and you're done"? That's all I need. :)

5. David_AVD

David_AVD Good news, everyone!

What lights are on (or flashing) on the Tiger 48 board?

6. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    what start address do you have from last year on the Tiger board

7. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

No lights come on at all.
    I don't know what the start address was, I lost everything with the show computer dying.

8. David_AVD

No lights coming on is your first problem. Have you checked that the fuses are installed and good? Is voltage even getting to the board ?

9. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

Thanks for that David - voltage wasn't getting to the board. I tried a different cable and lights came on. Checked the original cable and couldn't find why it wasn't working but have chucked it anyway.

10. David_AVD

No problem Ingrid. Always pays to check the simple things first. :)

My basic rule is never assume anything. A skipped diagnostic step will come back to bite you all too often.

11. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

Very true - didn't help that I couldn't remember what I did last year either.

12. tuppetsdad

tuppetsdad Funding & Tech Support

If you get stuck again tp can send you some pics as we have three of them working

13. OP
    OP
    toodle_pipsky

Thanks, that would be great. I'll let you know how I go once I get them out in the yard. :)