Controller for just handling putting 12v or 5v down the line?

arw01

Full time elf
Is there such a beast as a simple relay type board that can switch 5v or 12v down the wire to control some non RGB dumb stuff?

E.g. like dripping icicles etc that just run on 5v and away they go when it's applied, or the ACL strobes being the same thing.

Alan

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Pretty much all DC controllers switch the negative line. There are technical reasons for this.

There's nothing to stop you using those same controllers with your strobes however. Just connect the strobe -ve to the channel terminal, strobe +ve to 5V power supply +ve and the 5V power supply -ve to the controller board's -ve terminal.

See this wiki article I wrote some time back and refer to examples 2 and 3.

arw01

Full time elf
Thanks David, I was just sitting and thinking that Ray's 27 channel controller could be made to do one 5v on one of the 3 per, another on the second. I would just have to set up R G B being output to control which one of them got the 5v or 12v down the line.

Could be an interesting effect being able to control every 10' of dripping icicles with just 2 wires running to each plug, get some 8 conductor or 10 conductor sprinkler line that is stranded and be running only one cable out there.