controlling colour signal to pixels

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I am in the process of setting up my lights. I have a pixlite 16 to control them. I have some strips of INK1003 and some other strips that I had been told were 2811 although it doesn't say on the strip and I hadn't tested them until today.

Anyway I hook up the lights to the pixlite test pattern to see if it works. The pixlite is set to ws2811 protocol (fast). All lights work. So good news about the unknown strip. I can control it.

The hassle is the INK1003 goes red-green-blue-white when it scrolls through the test pattern colours. The assumed 2811 strip goes red-blue-green-white. So the green and the blue are swapped around.

Is there any way I can set up the controller to fix this. I see there is a setting in the controller setup to set the order of RGB but I assume this does all outputs and the problem will persist if I change this.

If I can't do anything then I will just have to remember to send blue when I want green and vice versa in my sequencing.

Thanks

Habbosrus

Back again
According to Advatek website it is only one protocol per controller.

Currently supports high quality Advatek pixel strings (with gamma correction) in addition to several other generic pixel types (TLS3001, SM16716, LPD6803, WS2801, WS2811, WS2812, WS2812B, TM180x, MBI6020, INK1003 and more coming soon. Note: one pixel type at a time per controller)

I was looking at one of these controllers but this issue put me off a little (everything else looks great). Maybe there will be a firmware fix in the future (hope so). What software/sequencer are you using? HLS allows you to change rgb when outputting but I'm not sure about other software.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Habbosrus. I know about the one protocol. Only realised (read learnt enough to know what I was looking for)after I had bought it though. The good/lucky news in my scenario is ink1003 and ws2811 drive off the same protocol. That's assuming the unknown strip turns out to be 2811. I'm assuming it must be close as it actually runs. Just wondering if there's anything I can change to get it going the same as the ink1003. Here's hoping.

ecbailey

Full time elf
Usually you can change the RGB order in the controller setup. I know in Light Show Pro (and probably others) the order can also be changed.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks for that. I figured worst case scenario would be that I just had to sequence it taking into account the reverse colours. If I can tell the software to reverse those channels/pixels then that is even better.

Would still like to know why it's happening. Is it because the assumed 2811 strip is not 2811 and is actually something else. It has to be something that is very close to 2811 protocol.

battle79

Full time elf
The strip you have is most definitely 2811. What's happening is simple a case of each 2811 chip having 3 outputs going to the led, and one group is wired differently then the other.

I've got modules that are different to strip, that is different to bullet pixels, all are 2811.

Let us know what software your using and we can hopefully advise on how to change in software.

Regards,
Rowan

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Rowan. Good to know not all 2811 is created equal. One more thing to adjust for.

I'm using LOR S3. Yet to do any sequencing though. Wanted to get my hardware sorted so I could set up the software correctly from the start. Was worried if I put time into sequencing only to find I had to change something in the hardware the sequencing time would be wasted.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The different colour order is simply due to the RGB LEDs having a different colour internally or the connections from the 2811 chip to the RGB LED being swapped around. It's a reasonably common occurrence.

battle79

Full time elf
Not familiar with LOR unfortunately.

Will have to wait for AAH or ShellNZ to pop in and answer about the easiest way to set up colour sequence in LOR.

Would be worth finding out before you start sequencing as it may be easier to do when setting up channels rather than when patching later.

Regards,
Rowan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
By memory LOR does not allow for RGB changing like LSP or some other software packages.

the other issue you have is that the controller you have does not support partial changes to a string like the J1sys controllers where you have the ability to set a channel range with a particular setup.

So looking at both your current software and hardware then I think this may be a difficult thing to do

Ɠαяєтн

Mae gen i C.L.A.P ei heintus iawn
When you create an RGB channel in LOR S3, the defaults are R (First) G (Second) and Blue (Third), these channel numbers follow in sequence, e.g. 1,2,3 then 4,5,6. By editing each channel configuration you can change (swap) the channel number. e.g. Red=1 Green=3 and Blue=2. It would take some time to go through many pixels to change the channel order, but this should work.

Attachments

• RGB Channel Settings.png
    RGB Channel Settings.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 10
  • Channel Settings.jpg
    Channel Settings.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 6

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks Gareth. I only have 20m of 10 pixel/m = 20x10x3=600 channels to do. Should be getting good at changing it by the end.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
gαяєтн said:
When you create an RGB channel in LOR S3, the defaults are R (First) G (Second) and Blue (Third), these channel numbers follow in sequence, e.g. 1,2,3 then 4,5,6. By editing each channel configuration you can change (swap) the channel number. e.g. Red=1 Green=3 and Blue=2. It would take some time to go through many pixels to change the channel order, but this should work.

Looks like my memory wasnt so good :-[

BundyRoy said:
Thanks Gareth. I only have 20m of 10 pixel/m = 20x10x3=600 channels to do. Should be getting good at changing it by the end.

Thats lucky you only have that many channels to swap and by the end of doing that many im sure your eyes will still be square.