da_E131: Test utility for E1.31 systems

riri7707

Full time elf
Hi David,
Seems to be a very usefull good tool...

Just very good welcome in time to check the TRIO LSP/ECG/TP problems....

Thanks a lot.....

Henri

dmoore

Senior elf
Thanks David for taking the time to produce this tool. It will surely help during troubleshooting software and hardware issues involving a E131 based network.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
As per my post in another thread, the da_E131 software is not yet complete.

I thought I'd get the first version out there and see what the shortcomings are and what else is needed.

Comments, bug reports and suggestions are welcomed. :)

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Great work David, this will help a lot of people out when testing and setting up and you slapped it together in such little time, im now starting to wonder what other great things you have in your bag of tricks

dmoore

Senior elf
David -

I just use the tool to track down several mis-addressed corostars in my display and I also found one that had a bad set of LEDs.

If you didn't do any additional updates, it would be fine as is! That said... :)

* An option to output 255 to universes x to y, ideally in RGB (for those that are primarily RGB)
* Just a few notches higher on the chase speed or up to 22ms
* Add an output indicator for the speed of output (ms?)

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I've just changed the chase "Rate" to "Delay ms" to make it clearer. It now ranges from 20ms to 2000ms (2 sec) updates. That should address points 2 and 3.

Can you detail item 1 more? I take it you want to send 255 (fully on) to all channels in a range of universes? Can the data output be slower seeing it's static?

I'll upload the updated version tonight.

dmoore

Senior elf
David_AVD said:
Can you detail item 1 more? I take it you want to send 255 (fully on) to all channels in a range of universes? Can the data output be slower seeing it's static?

What I'm attempting to do is turn on every light in the display, ideally in RGB. Where this would be useful is checking your entire display for bad lights all at once.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
OK, the RGB confused me. Sounds like you just need to turn every channel on. It should make no difference if they are RGB or single channels in that case.

Or.... did you mean one colour at a time?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I'm now adding "Idle Repeat" controls. When enabled, the program will send the last E1.31 packet as specified by the "Delay ms" control in that section.

Without this, after you stop moving the intensity sliders, or in between chase steps, the DR4 would receive no data and go into the "Keep Alive" mode.

So, this new "Idle Repeat" function (if enabled) makes sure a packet goes out at least every x milliseconds.

ptone

New elf
FYI - for those on Mac/Linux - you get some of this from OLA's built in javascript based console

olaconsole.png

-Preston

dmoore

Senior elf
David_AVD said:
OK, the RGB confused me. Sounds like you just need to turn every channel on. It should make no difference if they are RGB or single channels in that case.

Or.... did you mean one colour at a time?

Currently it is possible to select to output 255 accross all channels in a single universe, or selected groupings of channels (RGB). What I was looking at was the ability to output that same data to not just the current universe, but several universes all at once. So say, universes 1-5 could all have the intensity of their channels set to, say, 255. By doing this, it allows you to go outside and see where you have "holes" from bad pixels, bulbs, devices. I generally try to go outside each night and check to see that everything is working and having everything on at one time would make quick work of that.

So, that would mean that there would need to be a start (which is already there) and an end universe for output.