da_E131: Test utility for E1.31 systems

robertt

New elf
Hello David,

First thanks fore the program, it will help testing for sure.

Is it possible to upgrade the max simultaneous universe to 12 so it is possible to test an ECG-P12 at once?
Maybe it is possible to output _a lot_ off universes to stress test a complete system :D

Greetings, Robert

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
robertt said:
Is it possible to upgrade the max simultaneous universe to 12 so it is possible to test an ECG-P12 at once?

I can do that. There will be a performance hit though.

Even with 8 universes some PC's can bog down. Keeping the data display window (in da_E131) closed can make a big difference though.

I'll see if I have time to change it tonight. Remind me if I forget and you don't hear from me!

robertt

New elf
David_AVD said:
  • Max universes increased from 8 to 12 (performance decreases with more active universes)
  • Fixed issue with sequence number incrementing incorrectly with more than one universe

Thanks David!
I don't want to be rude but can you tell what is causing the performance decrease?
I'm planning on 60 universes for our show and haven't got problems with HLS...

Greetings, Robert

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
robertt said:
I don't want to be rude but can you tell what is causing the performance decrease?

It's simply the way I've done the multi-universe section of da_E131. I could probably recode it to be multi-threaded, etc but most people just use it for simple testing as far as I know so I haven't looked into it.

Jago

New elf
That is prob the same issue I discovered when I was working with the arduino code.

At time I was getting packets that had a different structure and would not validate as e.131 packets.
But I am no expert in the e1.31 protocol so assumed it was a mistake on my part ;)

DanJ

Full time elf
Thank you for doing this David. A troubleshooter is worth its weight in GOLD, especially for us sequencing & RGB newbies! I used a tool recommended by Jim St. John last year to determine why my E682 would work "sometime" on my wireless network and sometimes wouldn't. Once I direct-connected to my PC, no more problems. The troubleshooter was invaluable and I know this one will be too

JerryPlak

New elf
Also Thank you for doing this David, I been using this da_E131: Test utility for couple of years
also sign up for the your newsletters :)

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Among the changes that David added was an RGB chase on the chaser tab, an open/close thingy at the top of the page which starts and stops the data being streamed, a coloured background if the start code is set to other than 0 (0 is dmx light data) and some tidying up of the of the view channels (channel data) window.