Dc5v 60mm fans

mborg10

Michael Borg
Recently I bought some of the vents that Qiang fu kiwi had for sale. Apparently they can be bolted directly to a 60mm fan. I had a look on eBay and aliexpress and there doesn't seem to be any dc5v 60mm fans available.

90% of my display is dc12v so no problem there but I have a high pixel count strip that I'm using for a matrix that is 5v

Is there a dc5v fan available that can bolt to these covers

What are my options if there is not and I have a dc12v fan in a dc5v enclosure????

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
WES Components have a number of 5V 60mm fans in 10mm and 15mm thickness. In the quick look around I had these were the only 5V ones I found that the regular suppliers I use had available. I didn't look up the price but if you aren't in the electronics trade you can get these through TV/Video/Antenna etc installers as WES caters to these fields.

They are on https://www.wes.com.au/mediapub/ebook/wescat2014np/#496/z which is the publicly available catalogue which shows no prices.

darylc

404 darylc not found
What are people using for 12v 60mm fans in general?

AAH

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
You may find that some of the 12V fans run adequately (slower) on 5V. Make sure it starts reliably of course.

You don't need a massive air flow a lot of the time. Just moving air through the enclosure to stop the heat rise is enough.

mborg10

Michael Borg
David_AVD said:
You may find that some of the 12V fans run adequately (slower) on 5V. Make sure it starts reliably of course.

You don't need a massive air flow a lot of the time. Just moving air through the enclosure to stop the heat rise is enough.
That's good to know as I'm actually running 2 fans per enclosure. The side near the controller will suck air in and blow across controller onto power supplies then another fan to blow the hot air out of the other side. Prob over kill but we get a few 40 plus days over summer.

kane

Dedicated elf
Christmas @ the Myrtle (Michael) said:
That's good to know as I'm actually running 2 fans per enclosure. The side near the controller will suck air in and blow across controller onto power supplies then another fan to blow the hot air out of the other side. Prob over kill but we get a few 40 plus days over summer.

Out of interest, do you have your power supplies running 24x7? I only have them running for the show (turned on via dmx relays), and obviously it's usually a lot cooler by nighttime..

mborg10

Michael Borg
Kane said:

Out of interest, do you have your power supplies running 24x7? I only have them running for the show (turned on via dmx relays), and obviously it's usually a lot cooler by nighttime..
Nah just for the show but I'm in the penrith valley and it can still be very hot at 9.00 at night. Overkill I know but at least I know it has plenty of air flow.

A lot different to my last year set up which was in a Tupperware container.

kane

Dedicated elf
A lot different to my last year set up which was in a Tupperware container.

Don't knock tupperware!!

I actually don't have any power supplies in enclosures - I have most of mine centrally located in the garage mounted to a board.. I do have some power supplies outside (on my balcony, so pretty much undercover), but they're waterproof style ones with heatsinks

AAH

Tupperware is too upmarket for me. $3 Reject Shop boxes all the way.

mborg10

Michael Borg
I'm trying to go a little more up market and look professional but no one would know the difference.

The tupperware did the job. Had a few fried and dried roaches in there at the end of the season, but because everything was hard wired I left them out in the yard for a while after the show. At least with my new and improved super enclosures I can just unplug them and store them away.