Ditching LSP (this year)

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
Well this being my first year, I had many challenges. The biggest has turned out to be sequencing in LSP.

After wasting yet another night trying to persevere with the slowness and the crashes, I have given up on LSP (for this year).

The annoying thing is last night's sequencing was great, no slow down or crashing (was praising the new release). Tonight started the same, but after a quick (successful) live test, the program slowed down so much that I would have to wait after every click for LSP to respond.

No amount of rebooting or reinstalling helped! BTW I am using a Dell XT3 (win7 x64, core i5, 4gb mem, SSD hdd).

Tomorrow I will start again with LOR (as I already have a license) and have to just live with a simpler show without transitions/effects/macros.

I really wanted to use LSP, but I really need to actually finish a sequence and have something to show for all the work I have put in!

Maybe I won't be so defeated after I have slept, but for now it looks like its time to move on.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Create a show with LOR and get your display up and running. That's what I did. :)

There's always time to go back and fiddle with LSP when the pressure is off.

TimW

Full time elf
Me too.... this software shows flashes of breathtaking brilliance ... and then can't do simple things like consistently get to the end of a sequence without deciding to stop at random points.
The final straw for me last night was trying to load the scheduler, getting a 'there is a problem with the zip file - load another sequence' and discovering that the program had decided to delete the associated audio file into the bargain, just to rub it in....
I get sucked in to buying the upgrade every year, hoping that basic stability has been achieved. This is year 3 and its yet to successfully run a show for me...
To those of you that got it working I take my hat off to ya..
Back to 5000 channels in Vixen (sigh....)... maybe I'll just run last year's show.

Bird

LOR user
I use LOR so cannot comment on LSP issues.
That said I did purchase LSP this year and not used it yet. However with the new team in the background pushing LSP in the right direction I am hoping all the problems described will be a thing of the past. With the new excellent team guiding LSP it should end up being an excelant program, not that I'm putting any pressure on a few un-named people. :)

MarcD

Full time elf
I mentioned this in another thread yesterday. We don't use LSP for reasons I don't need to go into. We created sequences in Vixen but had heaps of problems getting them to run. We installed xLights and it works perfectly. Hasn't skipped a beat since we started using it on Monday night.

You should try it with your LSP sequences. xLights isn't a sequencer, it's just a scheduler which runs sequences created in other programs.

Kaden

Also I wasn't able to complete a sequence with LSP to run on xlights.

I did some initial configuration with LOR at lunch today, it went smoothly and quickly. My enthusiasm as motivation has returned

There WILL be Christmas this year!

Kaden

Ok I spent the last couple of hours adding controllers and groups to LOR and testing output, all worked straight away!

I even got time to sequence the first minute of a song and do a live test!

I expect I will have the first sequence in LOR finished tomorrow (dependent on my kids allowing me the time).

LOR does struggle with 2,500 channels, but unlike LSP when LOR freezes, it comes back within seconds.

I don't mean to harp on about it, I am just so relived and elated that I can foresee the live show starting soon.

Turns out that uneducated impulse purchase of LOR in January is my sanity saver!

Donny M. Carter

Apprentice elf
Kaden said:
Ok I spent the last couple of hours adding controllers and groups to LOR and testing output, all worked straight away!

I even got time to sequence the first minute of a song and do a live test!

I expect I will have the first sequence in LOR finished tomorrow (dependent on my kids allowing me the time).

LOR does struggle with 2,500 channels, but unlike LSP when LOR freezes, it comes back within seconds.

I don't mean to harp on about it, I am just so relived and elated that I can foresee the live show starting soon.

Turns out that uneducated impulse purchase of LOR in January is my sanity saver!

Not sure why you're seeing freezes with S3! I'm running 5,000 RGB channels on a 10 year old HP with no issues! In 4 years, I've never had LOR freeze! My biggest sequence is 122 MB.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Shame you are having issues with LSP as i changed to LSP this year and have found it to be a great program. other years i have used LOR.

anon

Apprentice elf
I sympathise, hours before lights on I was trying to get a simple sequence together. Something that should have taken a couple of hours took over half a day due to freezing, crashes and things just working not logically.

There are a couple of core performance problems that lead to hanging, crashes and dragons. When these are fixed Christmas will be happier, though less money for presents with an emptier swear jar :)

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I use LSP scheduler every night. I dont see a need to use anything else

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
While looking for a solution to toodles no dmx problem today I saw a post at diylightinganimation (or something like that) about a program that does lsp 2.5 to xlights conversion. With me not being a member I couldn't see a lot of the images etc.