DMX Controlled Star Laser

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
I bought a couple of the "star lasers" from a seller on AliExpress a few months ago.

Here's a crappy video to show you what the output looks like:

Laser2.mp4

I want to mount these in a camera housing out the front of my yard and shine them onto my roof. This should keep the beams away from everyone.

What I really needed was a DMX controlled laser, so I have designed a small P-DMX board. It provides the 5.5V DC to run the laser and also controls the rotation motor (speed and direction) as well as turning just the beam on and off. It can also power down the whole laser.

Anyway, I've ordered the prototype boards, so once I receive those and write some code for them, I'll post about this project some more.

jeromej

Newbee, and learning the hard way!!!
Hi Dave

I would be intrested in a couple of these. I have been looking at the lasers but did buy anything as l wanted to controll them.
Cheers

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Question time..

1. What Model laser's? Please give link's

2. How much per board?
2.a. SMD or throu hole parts?
2.b. Pre-made or Diy job?

3. How long until these boards are made an ready to buy?

4. This year or next year?

kool-lites

Full time elf
David_AVD said:
I bought a couple of the "star lasers" from a seller on AliExpress a few months ago.

Here's a crappy video to show you what the output looks like:

Laser2.mp4

I want to mount these in a camera housing out the front of my yard and shine them onto my roof. This should keep the beams away from everyone.

What I really needed was a DMX controlled laser, so I have designed a small P-DMX board. It provides the 5.5V DC to run the laser and also controls the rotation motor (speed and direction) as well as turning just the beam on and off. It can also power down the whole laser.

Anyway, I've ordered the prototype boards, so once I receive those and write some code for them, I'll post about this project some more.
David,
The motors in these Lasers are NOT galvanometers. They are simple free running motors. I assume you will be able to adjust the speed of the motor, not the position of the Mirrors.
People need to be aware they can't take a $99 Laser and make it into the equivalent of a $500 unit simply by adding DMX Control.

That all said having the ability to control the effects as shown in the video is a worthy addition to the community.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
The star diffraction effect on these is done via lenses and gratings. The motor control is for the rotation only. This particular laser style doesn't contain the usual eccentric mirror on a spindle motors.

I'll update the thread again once I have the prototype back, built, coded and running.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Prototype is built. Need to write some code for it now.

apc729.jpg