Dmx output not working?

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Hey guys. I know, me always with the problems. :(
As the title suggests i can't seem to get output from my dmx zone in lsp. I have successfully got output through old vixen, so perhaps i can eliminate hardware? I have 2 tiger48s, 3 3ch controllers from ray and a dc48. Addressing seems good, again tested through vixen, each start channel turns on when tested.
In lsp i have zone 2 configured as dmx pro on the correct com port. Optimised sequence before turning on output. Nothing. Test controllerdoesn't work either. Any suggestions? (sorry for any horrible typing, i'm on my phone. Internet's not working, so all going well . . .)
Thanks for any light to shed on situation.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
1st and possibly most important question is it a dmx pro and not an open dmx. The dmx pro is a lot dearer and more powerful device.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
It' a lynx dmx dongle v2.0. I've always used "pro" to set it up. I did try open but it had a hissy fit at me and didn't like it.

AAH

Well that was my only thought. LSP is way over my head. Hopefully 1 of the gurus can help you out especially seeing as it's your birthday.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
I managed to get some sort of show working yesterday. I ran the E1.31 from LSP and the DMX from Vixen. Not ideal but it worked.
I tried today by "starting from scratch" and created a new sequence in LSP with just DMX and creating a new zone. I also upgraded to the latest patch for LSP so I'm running V2.5.4724.5112. Still nothing - no output from the test sequence and no output from the test feature.
My question is, is there any sort of way to test if LSP is sending out some sort of data other than a response from hardware?

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Thanks for that David. Done (love Big Clive's "honest" instructions :D ). Now what? When I plug it in both colours (used blue and red) come on. Do I run a sequence?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
OK, that seems to indicate that there is some data being output. Whether that data is changing as per the sequence is hard to tell. Run the sequence and see if the LED intensities change at all.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Can't tell much when running a sequence, but if I run test channels in Vixen I can see a very obvious change in brightness when you select all on and change brightness slider up and down. If I do the same in LSP there's no change.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Sounds like the DMX output is active, but there's no sequence data going to it. Make sure you have the zones set up correctly.

AAH

I read an old post on LSP forums that says the LSP has an issue with ports above 10. This may or not be resolved but if you're using a port above 10 then i'd assume it hasn't and i'd set the port below 10 and give it a try.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Unfortunately I can't do much now as the show is running. However before had to turn on I did have a look at your PM Aah. Weird - it says that my dongle is open, however when trying to set up the Open output in LSP it doesn't accept it, keeps saying "unconfigured" no matter how many times I go into configure it. Also my com port is 3, so unfortunately that's not the problem.

The even weirder thing is that after testing the pro/open thing, I went back to LSP to change the Pro settings to Open. As I said, it didn't like the Open output but suddenly all but 1 DMX controller started to work under LSP.

Maybe it is a hardware issue - i.e. the dongle. Old Vixen might be a little more "forgiving" of the problem than LSP. Cheap dongles?

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
And without sounding like I'm ungrateful, thanks guys for your help. I'm like these troubleshooting tips, they always end up in the basket of tricks for next year.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Yes Alan is correct, LSP has issues with com ports 10 and above, so if you are using a higher port number than 9 then change this so its running on a port between 1 -9