DMX -> RF Mains Switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
In another thread, we talked about using X10 modules to switch some 240Vac display items on and off occasionally. That may still be viable, but I thought I'd have a look at cheap RF mains switches and maybe design a transmitter board that accepts DMX (maybe LOR too?) to control them.

EDIT: The sales and support thread for this item is here.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Just dragged my RF remote units out of a box. The remote transmitter is Jackson brand, has 5 pairs of on/off buttons and is marked as 433.92 MHz. Looking good so far.

I have two different types of receivers; some Jackson branded ones with 5 selectable unit IDs and some PowerTran (Altronics' house brand) units with 8 selectable unit IDs. The PowerTran ones are newer and the first 5 unit IDs line up with the 5 button pairs on the Jackson remote transmitter. The two brands are almost identical in design, so I'm guessing that Altronics brought their own (compatible) version in after selling the Jackson ones for a while.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Just another Thought on modifying remote controls. Could what your doing here be adapted to a universal remote control to turn on projectors or DVD players in a show?

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Cool, That's the only two things i have to do for my show is turn on the projector and press play on a DVD player for my info screen.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I cobbled together some test code and loaded onto a spare PCB I had which has a PIC chip and 433MHz transmitter module. After a bit of fiddling around - it worked! :)

davidavd 433MHz transmitter for test control of RF mains switches Photo0228.jpg

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I've written and tested the PIC code to turn each of the 8 channels (receiver IDs) on and off.

I also wrote a routine to turn all 8 channels on or off at once. It does this by sending out the 8 (on or off) codes sequentially. There is a delay of about a second from the first to the last receiver updating.

All in all, a successful night's programming. Next step is to design a small PCB with DMX input and transmitter module all together. :)

Though I've only tested this with the Altronics / Jackson devices, it should work with (or be adaptable to) other brands such as the Jaycar 3 channel sets.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
PCB design is completed. Astute viewers may notice that it looks suspiciously like APC718 with the servo and pixel connectors removed and a transmitter module and antenna socket added!

apc740.png

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
David_AVD said:
Astute viewers may notice that it looks suspiciously like APC718 with the servo and pixel connectors removed and a transmitter module and antenna socket added!

Yep i noticed that ???

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I ordered 10 of the 3 pack remote mains switches from Rockby last Friday when they were on special. Alina from Rockby tells me that the stock hadn't arrived yet (oops), but should be ready to send out in the next couple of days. So anyone that ordered them from Rockby should get them next week I reckon. :)

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
that wouldprobably be the reason why they have'nt rung me for my credit card details,
but still having a special, one would expect they have the stock (unless there a small store) or at least ring

kane

Dedicated elf
smartalec said:
that wouldprobably be the reason why they have'nt rung me for my credit card details,
but still having a special, one would expect they have the stock (unless there a small store) or at least ring
I completely forgot that I ordered a couple of them as well - just got a call from Tony at Rockby asking for CC details, so I'm assuming you'll also get a call soon if not already.
I may be able to use my RfxCom Transmitter to control these units - will make it easy if I can do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.