Dumb things we've done...

firebug

Senior elf
Thought I'd start a dumb thread so that people can confess their stupidity during the year. Can be blinky based or just general day to day stuff. We all do it so fess up and give everyone else a laugh...

My most recent was late last week when I was soldering in the dining room under some bad light. The little one was dozing off so instead of turning on extra lights I thought I'd borrow my wife's reading glasses. To my dissmay it was helping me see better as I do not normally need glasses. However a few minutes in I adjusted the glasses up my nose using the same hand I was holding the soldering iron with... :eek:

Needless to say it is not recommended to apply a soldering iron to your face. It left me with a burn from my cheek to the corner of my eye. It looked like the result of a cat fight.

Anyone else??

mborg10

Michael Borg
A few years back I decided to add some silver accent pieces to the dashboard on my car around the stereo. Looked great but when I decided to sell it I wanted it back to factory. So I applied paint stripper to the plastic. The paint came off nice and easy but By the end of it The paint stripper had melted the plastic and I was left with a melted plastic ball which use to be my dashboard

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I think we can all lay testiment to burning ourselves with a soldering iron, its easy to do when you are distracted
As far as stupid things ive done in the past then they are too numerous to mention :D

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Upgraded my sunglasses a couple of years back as my vision had changed and got Serengeti glasses with optically correct lenses ( so you can guess they were a bit pricey). Anyway, went out fishing on a JetSki but swapped out the new glasses for my old pair beforehand. Got a big wave over the front of the ski that ripped the glasses from my face and sent them to the bottom of the ocean. Was a bit bummed at the time but at least it was just the old glasses. Later that night went to get my new glasses out of my old case having swapped them before going fishing. The blood drained from my head as I found myself staring at my old glasses in their case. Yes I had only swapped them over before fishing in my head but not in reality. The new glasses were only two weeks old and we're now being worn by a near sighted snapper.

Boof63

Senior elf
They must be all near sighted snapper over here , because I cant seem to catch any when I go fishing.
Recent hiccups- this years lights = fires, smoke, frustrations...........
Gotta luv life :D

Cheers Boof63

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Yesterday I added a small pixel tree to my display and used a spare output on the PIXAD8.

While I was setting up that output in the browser page, I disabled another output that I thought was a leftover from another test.

I checked that the new pixel tree worked and zip tied it to the fence happy with a job well done.

Later I edited some sequences and went outside to check the results. Hmmm... half of my display isn't working.

Then I twigged that the "test output" I disabled earlier was in fact the drive signal for my 2801-DC controllers! ::)

logandc99

Dedicated elf
ShellNZ said:
I'll reply once Ive stopped laughing picturing a near-sighted snapper lol

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417997424.003250.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417997424.003250.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 203

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
firebug said:
Fasteddy said:
As far as stupid things ive done in the past then they are too numerous to mention :D

Most recent or most interesting?

here are just a few from the years of Joy

Connecting 12v to 5v
Connecting 5v to 12v
incorrect connection with data and ground
connected +V to ground and ground to +V
connect male plug to the output end
forgot to add ring on plug when soldering in new plug
forgot to add heatshrink when soldering on new sections
Swapped the colour of the wires being connected so crossed over cable
Numerous soldering iron burns, some created by my son
Stepping on strip and damaging it
soldering both ends of a cable together when making an extension so instead just made a loop
Soldering 2 male ends on a cable

and the list goes on :D

benzor84

Apprentice elf
"soldering both ends of a cable together when making an extension so instead just made a loop"
This is how black holes are formed. :D

Habbosrus

Back again
Can I say - Got married? If not, pretend I didn't say that and don't tell my wife.
On my first wedding anniversary I went fishing early in the morning so I could make a nice dinner for the trouble & strife. As we sat down to dinner my wife asked where my wedding ring was? It dawned on me at that moment that it was in my favourite fishing spot, having been thrown in the water with the burley that morning :oops:
But at least I caught some fish :D

fish ring.jpg

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Fasteddy said:
soldering both ends of a cable together when making an extension so instead just made a loop

For some reason this does sound very familiar. Making 6 cables at the same time & one decided it wanted to be a loop. Was all heat shrinked & waterproofed too.

logandc99

Dedicated elf
Fasteddy said:

I've forgotten this step multiple times. However discovered that if you put the rings in boiling water, especially the black ones, they get pliable enough to force over the ridge on the plug but you gotta be quick because they go back to their usual hard selves very quickly.

mborg10

Michael Borg
logandc99 said:
Fasteddy said:

I've forgotten this step multiple times. However discovered that if you put the rings in boiling water, especially the black ones, they get pliable enough to force over the ridge on the plug but you gotta be quick because they go back to their usual hard selves very quickly.
That's for the tip