ECG-P12R Setup Info

justinj

Apprentice elf
Just thought I'd post the following response I got from Ed relating to setting up the ECG-P12R due to the lack of manual at present:

I’m working on updating the PIXAD8 documentation to include the P12R since they are virtually the same design just different number of strings and layout. If you haven’t already done so please download and read the PIXAD8 manual from our download section.
There are logical/simple differences in the grouping of the pixel strings. PIXAD8 has two groups of 4 for power and round robin. P12R has two groups of 6 for power and 3 groups of 4 for round robin. Of course all configuration and info screens have increased from 8 to 12.
The one BIG difference is in the power configuration area.
PIXAD8 uses three little jumpers as described in the manual.
P12R uses a 3.5mm 5 pin pluggable terminal strip. It is called K1 and is located in the corner of the board next to the RJ45 connector.

From the rear K1 pinout is:
1 – V+, a connection to P13 on the P12x Panel. Used to connect to the power supply for Bank 2 of the pixel strings (7-12)

2 – VI, input to the optional use 7-36V -> 5V onboard regulator
3 – VO, output from the optional use 7-36V -> 5V onboard regulator
4 - +5, power input for the logic circuits
5 – GND, common power and signal ground

These are marked on the silkscreen legend. This allows flexible power connection to the board. You can power in several different ways.

Select one of the following:

If P13 is provided with a regulated 5VDC power supply: connect pin 1 to pin 4 (+V to +5)

If P13 is provided with 7-36VDC: connect pin 1 to pin 2 (+V to VI) and pin 3 to pin 4 (VO to +5)

If you want to provide a separate 5VDC power supply for the logic: connect +5VDC to pin 4 (+5) and GND to pin 5 (GND)

If you want to provide a separate 7-36VDC power supply for the logic: connect +7-36VDC to pin 2 (VI)and GND to pin 5 (GND), also connect pin 3 to pin 4 (VO to +5)

Please note the arrangement of the P01-P12 sockets on the panel board. They are arranged in a W pattern. Down column 1, up column 2, down column 3, up column 4. Each socket is labeled. All sockets use the same pinout but half of them are laid out oriented 180 degrees different. The pinout is our standard as described in the PIXAD8 documentation and is also on the silkscreen legend for the bottom row of sockets for reference.

ERRATA: the fuse holders for each pixel string are in the same W pattern. However the silkscreen was left incorrectly as a simple top down set of columns. The fuse holders F04 and F06 are labeled incorrectly, also F10 and F12. They should be thought of as exchanged and match the P04, P06, P10, P12 order of numbering.

I’ll post the updated manual and more information shortly.

-Ed

chicken

Apprentice elf
Just fired up the P12R and running into an issue. Most likely I missed something. I went into the web interface, changed the IP to something for my local network, set the first string config to universe 101, 2801 chipset and 50 pixels and rebooted. After it rebooted the String is now rotating through all pixels R -> G -> B while it is chasing a single pixel through as White. I figured it was doing this as it had not received any packets from LSP. So I booted up LSP and configured it and went to send commands via LSP and while it seems to send them and the P12R processes them a second later it goes back into the R->G->B Chase sequence. Any ideas? Thanks

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
I haven't got a p12 myself., But there is a very,very small set of 4 dip switches on the pixad8. when switch 4 is on it puts the pixad-8 into a test sequence as described by you.

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Ed somehow has has sourced the worlds smallest DIP switches. I had no idea they were there either.

kane

Dedicated elf
riri7707 said:
I didn't see any option in LSP 2 for this new device...
some tips and tricks to use it with LSP ?
Hi Henri

The steps to setup in LSP are as follows:

Setup the device
Setup the unit via the web interface to listen to whichever universes you want to allocate for each string. Eg, universe 101 for String 1, 102 for String 2 and 103 for String 3.

Setup the e1.31 configuration in LSP.
Under the Options Menu, click "Configure Outputs". If you don't have an E1.31 plugin enabled, click "Add Output", otherwise click the one there, and click "Configure Output". You should only ever have one e1.31 plugin - this will cover all devices (dr4,pixad8,p12r,e680 etc)
Add an entry into the configuration for each universe you are using.. The universe number is whichever you have chosen in the hardware config, and probably easiest to just choose Multicast (LAN)
The "Start" and "Size" are a little bit confusing - these don't relate to the start channel within the universe - they relate to the internal LSP "channel list" If you, for example, were going to utilise 4 universes, then the easiest way is to just use Size: 512 for all entries. For "Start", you would then use 1 for the first universe, 512 for the second, 1025 for the third and 1537 for the fourth.

Setting up Controllers in LSP
I think that most people just setup individual controllers (using the standard DMX controller) for each display element (rather than setting up the whole p12r as a controller) So, if you have a 150 pixel string connected to the first output, you would simply add a DMX Controller, specify 150 channels, ensuring it's setup as RGB, and specify the starting address as 1. For the second string, you'd do the same, with a starting address of 513.

Hope that makes a bit of sense?

Kane

Mike

CLAP infected!
I know a few people have been confused about the power options with the p12r
Here are 2 of them and I will hopefully put up the rest later

This one shows the configuration for powering the board via 7-36v DC.
P13 (on the top board) is fed a voltage of 7-36v DC and then K1 is configured to take 5v for the logic off of that
K1 has 2 jumper wire connected to it that connect pin 1 (v+) to pin 2 (VI) and pin 3 (VO) to pin 4 (+5)

Use this configuration if you power the bank of 6 outputs under P13 with the above voltage
2011-11-16 18.42.29.jpg

If your using P13 with 5v, say for instance 2801 pixels. The configuration is as shown
K1 has 1 jumper wire from pin 1 (v+) to pin 4 (+5)
Make sure your power supply is giving the correct voltage and is stable before you connect this way though.
2011-11-16 18.44.03.jpg

chicken

Apprentice elf
Mike, Not sure if its my browser or not but the pictures only look like thumbnails and you cannot click on them to see in detail the larger picture. Thanks for posting the information though. I'll try to get similar ones tomorrow of the PPD and PPRs as they are similar but different...

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
It's just very laggy because Mike didn't resize the picture before uploading to ACL I'd say. Really big pictures like that put a strain on Phil's connection.

riri7707

Full time elf
Still confused....
Some schematics will help.
I prefer to be confirmed on the below before connecting my p12R and take a risk to see Smoke...

As i understand, the P12R have multi-voltage IN possibility, and the logic of bridges to use not so simple to understand as we need logic voltage and Load voltage for the strings who can be different...

I will use PC PSU(12v/5v) as my WS 2801 modules are 12v powered...
The idea is to have always perfect 5v for Logic board and 12v for Load, with common GND.

So in this case, as i saw P00 and P13 are totally powered /independant regarding the injection of the power in the P01 to P12. Only CLK+Data comes from the logic board...

So in this case i will put from the power :

+ 5 volts from power supply to VI (K1)
Gnd from power supply to Gnd (K1)
then
+12 volts from power supply to +V (P00 + P13)
Gnd from power supply to Gnd (P00 + P13)

that's it ... No bridges at all on K1...

Does it works or can it be more simple, using only 12volts?

thanks....

Henri