ECG-P12S Test Pattern and WS2811 speed

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I've just fired up the P12 and tried the test pattern. I am getting output 1 going through the colours with a white led moving along the string with each change. This is what I expected to happen. The odd thing is all the other outputs are staying white and not changing. Is this normal or do I have a setting wrong. Well to be honest I don't have lights connected to all outputs but the several I do have lights on are white. From what I read in the manual I was expecting them all to revolve through the colours.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Do you have each output setup with the correct protocol and speed (3200 for WS2811), string length, etc as well as being enabled?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks David. I checked all those things. The speed was set at 2000 I think (that's what it was when I got it) but I didn't know if that was correct or what to change it to. Will change it to 3200. I've since tried it with 12 strings attached. Some strings alternate colours and some just stay white. I think from memory strings 1, 3, 5, 7 and maybe others were alternating rgb. The others seemed to be white but I did notice that sometimes a single pixel would change colour. It was little hard to see as I had 12 bundles of 48 nodes attached. The nodes were tied up in bundles to keep them tidy not laid out in lines so the individual node colour changes were a little hard to pick up (and it was daylight).

Is there a table somewhere that specifies the speed for various pixel types.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
WS2811 should be run at 3200. WS2801 is usually run somewhere around the 750 mark.

Also make sure you have all the effect settings (different page) cleared / turned off.

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Thanks David. I changed the speed to 3200 and it's all as it should be. The first tab of the effects was also selected although it just said rgb to rgb for the full number of pixels in the string so I'm not sure if unselecting that made much difference.

It just seems odd to me that all strings had the same settings but they all did different things. Maybe using a speed of 2000 just makes it a random selection of results. Anyway it's all fixed now, so thanks again. I think I'm getting my brain around the j1sys setup now.