ESPixelSticks

danv

Full time elf
I just checked the "feautres" page and it does mention E1.31, so I would assume it would work yes.

Roosta

Full time elf
Interesting. The baud rate would be the issue here. Most RF modules wont handle anything well about 115200. (some struggle with that even). I do have some great 151MHz modules that I use for 10km long telemetry links etc but they only talk at 1200 baud. Would need to up frequency significantly to 2.4GHz or 5GHz. But, having said that, a Wixel will sort that out (ESPixelStick). I am currently working on a Wixel v2.0 (better ESP module and onboard power stage, etc). But should have plenty of Wixel 1.0's for loading into the web store in the next few days. I am ordering any components I am low on today once I do a bit of a stock take.

So your saying what i am looking for doesnt exist and isnt possible? I am no super tech guru, but i cant quite get why that would be.. if the espixel stick can recieve e1.3 data fast enough to control a string of pixels in 40fps, then why cant something transmit the data from a string.. just like a wireless bridge..

Barnabybear

New elf
So your saying what i am looking for doesnt exist and isnt possible? I am no super tech guru, but i cant quite get why that would be.. if the espixel stick can recieve e1.3 data fast enough to control a string of pixels in 40fps, then why cant something transmit the data from a string.. just like a wireless bridge..
Hi, you could use a second ESPixel stick with a different start address for the continuation of the data in the end of the string. This would use one less ESP than your method.

Last edited:

Roosta

Full time elf
Hi, you could use a second ESPixel stick with a different start address for the continuation of the data in the end of the string. This would use one less ESP than your method.

Unfortunately in the application I need this in, there is no e1.31 data, just pixel data so I cant use a ESPixel stick

Application is, I have several bluetooth pixel controllers for garden/bar and deck lighting. However in some of these places I have a need to put more lights in but getting data to them from the bluetooth controller or end of a string is not possible..

danv

Full time elf
E1.31 packets are read and appropriate pins are clocked to spew out pixel data. I didnt say it wasnt possible. Just not easy or cheap. What distance and number of pixels are we talking here? (Common RF modules probably wont handle the speeds required) i will look into this though.

danv

Full time elf
Unfortunately in the application I need this in, there is no e1.31 data, just pixel data so I cant use a ESPixel stick

Application is, I have several bluetooth pixel controllers for garden/bar and deck lighting. However in some of these places I have a need to put more lights in but getting data to them from the bluetooth controller or end of a string is not possible..

This may just do what we want......

https://github.com/jeelabs/esp-link/blob/master/README.md

Roosta

Full time elf
E1.31 packets are read and appropriate pins are clocked to spew out pixel data. I didnt say it wasnt possible. Just not easy or cheap. What distance and number of pixels are we talking here? (Common RF modules probably wont handle the speeds required) i will look into this though.

Well that sounds more promising :)

As for distance and pixels, ideally 20-30m however realistically could get away with 10-15m. Pixel numbers, well not huge numbers, 100-200 would be enough for my application however for future projects/other peoples uses I would think similar to the wixel would be fantastic..

Cheers,
Nik

Last edited:

danv

Full time elf
Following QTY's have been updated and products activated in the new online web store (https://shop.vizztech.com.au)

5 x ESP Programming Modules
10 x ESP-01 Modules

I have enough components to assemble 8 x DMX-WiFi v1.0 units and at least 10 x Wixel v1.0 units tonight. The QTY's for these two will be updated once the units are assembled and bench tested.

Assembly has started of the 8 x DMX-WiFi units and 10 x Wixel v1.0 units. Should get the stock levels loaded tomorrow. Had some other jobs to finalize this weekend that got in the way.

Also have ordered parts for the prototype "PRO" version of my Wixel. Has hardened power supply, large 5.08mm pitch screw terminals, fully buffered 5V logic drivers for pixel DATA and CLOCK (some pixel types) signals, on-board USB programming interface for loading firmware and the option to use an external 2.4GHz antenna (I am planning on bundling some 5dBi external antennas in a kit) so stay tuned for this one as well.

ENjemN6.png

danv

Full time elf
If you use a gmail account, please check you spam folder as I have a feeling that the email confirmation for store user accounts is getting treated as spam in gmail?

danv

Full time elf
If you use a gmail account, please check you spam folder as I have a feeling that the email confirmation for store user accounts is getting treated as spam in gmail?

I have just turned off the requirement for email confirmations.

danv

Full time elf
Wixel PRO prototype testing started!
Straight up RSSI solid increase from 60% to 98%/100% when I add the high gain external antenna (20m from my crappy ISP supplied modem/wifi router. My Ubiquiti show router would yield far better results again).

QVXsE6f.jpg

yb2tn1J.jpg

danv

Full time elf
PUYA Flash Chip Fix

Basically replace your esp.cpp file in your core esp8266 directory with this one contained within this zip file

https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/files/2002039/Esp.zip

I am using the portable version so it looks like this: C:\arduino-.8.6\portable\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.4.2\cores\esp8266\Esp.cpp. Just look for the 'packages' folder in your install directory and follow it down. Once the esp.cpp file is replaced, restart the IDE and flash your sketch using the "Tools -> Erase Flash -> All Flash Contents" option. After it's done flashing, go to "Tools -> ESP8266 Sketch Data Upload". This will upload all the files in the "data" subfolder of your sketch folder.

danv

Full time elf
and here is an even easier way, I did the hard work mentioned above for everyone and rebuilt the .bin file.
grab this file
https://file.io/lYAwNu
and take the .bin file out of it and do this...
Replace the .bin file in the firmware folder where your espixelstick flashtool is located, with the .bin file that is inside this zip file and just try using the flashtool with it.
If the PUYA chip is already corrupted, you may need to use the flashtool to do a full erase FIRST before loading the patched firmware.