Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
This year one of the elements i added to my display were 4 RGB pixel corex candy canes.

[attachimg=1]

These were a last minute addition to the display and were mainly made up of spare bits and pieces laying around. The result was much better than I expected and so I thought i would share how to build these cheap, simple and effective coro candy canes.

www.vimeo.com/34544106

These can be built in bulk for under $15 and contain the below parts

1: 8 x 5050 Pixel type rectangular modules (i used 6803 modules but you can use any other type IC that your hardware supports)
2: 700mm length of conduit
3: Sheet of Corex flute board
4: 4 core cable (i use 14/020 4 core security cable)
5: 4 pin male and female plug
6: Cable ties
7: Silicone and hot glue

[attachimg=2]

The basic construction is

1: Make a string of 8 modules with the male plug connected to the input side and the female connected to the output side with a lead long enough so that it will then connect to the next candy cane (distance limitations apply, generally max of 3 to 4 metres)
2: Cut out 2 pieces of corex into the shape of a candy cane, i cut the bend by using a plate and a bowl to get the correct radius. I then use silicone or hot glue to stick the modules into place and leave to dry.
3: Once dry I then silicone the other piece of corex candy cane cut out the the top of the modules. I add silicone or hot glue to the spots where the wires come out of the module, this helps raise the corex away from the top of the module to increase the light dispersion into the corex. Leave to dry
4: Once dry add approx a 700mm length or 25mm conduit and cable tie this to the candy cane by feeding the cable ties in between the modules.
5: Tie back the excess cable between the pixels using hot glue or silicone
6: Connect to an appropriate pixel controller and software

[attachimg=3]

So easy to build, cheap and effective and can be used instead of mini trees. I know ill be adding many more for 2012

Attachments

• coro canes.jpg
    coro canes.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 2,516
  • candy canes 1.jpg
    candy canes 1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 2,513
  • cnady cane 3.jpg
    cnady cane 3.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 2,521

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Unreal, As if the canes weren't inspiration enuff. The Music sure got me excited as well.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
thanks eddy you know how excited i have been waiting for your how too post on these awsome candy canes

job well done

Benslights

Dedicated elf
trust me they look even better in real life they just seem to add something to the entire display

riri7707

Full time elf
I like....
Looks great.....
Just a technical question as here locally nobody knows corex in France...
I found this description of similar material i think; can you confirm please....
PP (polypropylene flute sheets 3mm thin color white).
I saw you use 5mm, but 3mm can be enough strong too? Does it match?
Thanks for your feedback
Regards.... Henri

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
riri7707 said:
I like....
Looks great.....
Just a technical question as here locally nobody knows corex in France...
I found this description of similar material i think; can you confirm please....
PP (polypropylene flute sheets 3mm thin color white).
I saw you use 5mm, but 3mm can be enough strong too? Does it match?
Thanks for your feedback
Regards.... Henri
This sounds like the right stuff, as far as how the 3mm will go im not sure, the 5mm is stronger

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Another option to building these candy canes without using pixels is to use 2 x 4 dumb 3 channel modules instead. each coro cane would take up 6 channels but you would be able to achieve the chasing red/white green/white candy cane effect as previously shown.

kel

Dedicated elf
Love the 3D effect ... nice!

13.gif

Beacy

It's so much better on the dark side
They look great Eddy, tipping there might be a fair few of them floating about yards this Christmas