Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions

Boof63

Senior elf
great idea, will be using these for next year, thanks for the idea and the how to. great work.
one question though please, how tall are the candy canes, guessing around 500 mm for the straight part??

cheers Boof63 :) :)

Slite

Full time elf
Those are sweet... but possibly a bit small for my future show... Since I have quite the distance to where people will be able to watch from....

Oh well, just have to make them bigger I guess :)

/Stefan

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
These candy canes can be made any size you want to make them. Mine were just that size because i had a few modules left and wanted to use them, I actually have 2 larger candy canes which are on one of my windows
The great result doesnt really show the little effort that went into making these

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
i like the idea of 2x4 rgb dumb modules to make the candy cane,
keep to my RGB type show without having to go pixel.
Great idea eddy,

(now i'll be broke spending more on coro ::) )

mmciver

New elf
Hey Eddy,

Is step three of your directions do I understand correctly that you cut away some of the module top to disperse the light better?

Just looking for clarification.

They look great!

Mike.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
The wires on the modules come stright out the top so I add the glue/silicone here as this gives some space betwen the modules/LEDs and the coro face which gives that little bit more light dispersion.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
smartalec said:
Eddy - Has anyone ever tested thickness an distance! from the leds test, To work out what is best?

Ive done a bit of playing around with how far you need to have the corex away from the strip/modules. It depends on what result your looking for. I use different distances depending on what I'm doing so when i build an element i first test what will look good vs ease of construction.
I find that if you want an even distribution of light on the corex that doesn't show the individual lights then 100mm is a most suitable distance, but this is also determined by how many lights and the area you are trying to light.

As far as corex thickness i use 5mm corex due to its strength, I do know that David Moore also believed that the thicker corex helped disperse the light better than the thinner corex. I don't know for sure as i only have ever used the 5mm corex but it definitely seems to work well.