Fasteddys RGB Coro Canes - Basic Instructions

derekbackus

New elf
After seeing this thread, I went on a search. Found the RGB lights here: holidaycoro.com . They're just $1.29US... seemed cheap to me.

Derek

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
mlkren said:
I was wondering where you got your 6803 modules.

Thanks

I got the 6803 pixels from Rays Online chinese store here
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-349773751/20pcs-a-string-led-pixel-module-3pcs-SMD-RGB-5050-1pcs-LPD6803-32-gray-level-DC12V.html

But the only reason i used the 6803 was because i used these with the CCR controller which drives the 6803. I think Ray will have the 2801 available soon which will give better dimming and more colours

Ed Slonka Jr

New elf
Eddy,

Have you talked to Ray about these modules in 2801 and when they'll be available?

Thanks Ed

Attachments

• Module 2.jpg
    Module 2.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 40

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I havent spoken to him but another member here spoke to him at the beginning of the year and ray said he will have them available sometime after the Chinese new year. It may be worth asking Ray the question again to see when he will have them.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
Hi Guys i have spoken with ray about him doing these in 2801 and he says he can so i have emailed him now so he can give me a price.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
lol Steve you got in before me as i was just logging on to put the link up. it is great how ray is willing to make what you ask. great person to deal with.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Eddy, Eddy, Eddy,

You make things look so easy an good.. :D

I tryed making a candy cane, i learned i cant cut curves in coro for the life of me. ???
I think this one maybe a job for the jigsaw.

I'll keep trying an see if i can turn out something as good as your's

barbotte

Apprentice elf
derekbackus said:
After seeing this thread, I went on a search. Found the RGB lights here: holidaycoro.com . They're just $1.29US... seemed cheap to me.

Derek
i am not sure but i think those one are not pixel led ( individual adressable )...it look like dum rgb ..pice is only for 1 module .. but price is so good i wish someone would comment and share their expertize before i buy some
cheer

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
barbotte said:
derekbackus said:

Derek
i am not sure but i think those one are not pixel led ( individual adressable )...it look like dum rgb ..pice is only for 1 module .. but price is so good i wish someone would comment and share their expertize before i buy some
cheer
These are not pixel based modules you can get the 2801 pixel based module from Ray for $1 a piece
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-526598440/WS2801IC-5050-3LEDS-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

You can actually get the dumb modules for 55-59cents a piece from Ray Wu's store which is great price as they are normally around the 70 cents mark
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-423203782/promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

The square modules for 74cents a piece and you may be able to get ray down in price on these now.
http://www.aliexpress.com/fm-store/701799/209889132-423203782/promotion-5050-SMD-RGB-LED-module-DC12V-input-waterproof-20pcs-a-string.html

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
smartalec said:
Eddy, Eddy, Eddy,

You make things look so easy an good.. :D

I tryed making a candy cane, i learned i cant cut curves in coro for the life of me. ???
I think this one maybe a job for the jigsaw.

I'll keep trying an see if i can turn out something as good as your's

Did you use a plate and a bowl to help cut the corner, this is what i did, hold the plate down with your knee on the coro and cut the edge out using the the plate for the inner edge. Then repeat with the bowl for the outer corner edge. make sure you draw it first on the coro so you know you are cutting at the right point.

TheQueb

New elf
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
1: Make a string of 8 modules with the male plug connected to the input side and the female connected to the output side with a lead long enough so that it will then connect to the next candy cane (distance limitations apply, generally max of 3 to 4 metres)

On the 3 to 4 meters max... Is that between canes or max for the whole set of canes?

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
TheQueb said:
ɟɐsʇǝppʎ said:
1: Make a string of 8 modules with the male plug connected to the input side and the female connected to the output side with a lead long enough so that it will then connect to the next candy cane (distance limitations apply, generally max of 3 to 4 metres)

On the 3 to 4 meters max... Is that between canes or max for the whole set of canes?

Thats between canes as the pixel IC regenerates the signal. You could get further distance by placing a dummy pixel in between to regenerate the signal and extend the range between the canes even further