First year show - Struggling to build a shopping cart

Joshaaye

Hoping that everything still works..
Ah yep. Yeah I was curious if that heat gun on the one you linked would be hot enough. Still looks decent overall though.

bpratt

Senior elf
ooh that's not too bad. I was considering This Station and This Heat Gun (Just because it's reasonably cheap and not a potentially dodgy chinese one haha). And then This 3rd Hand @Pavle
This is the heatgun I got from Bunnings, a little bit more, but can adjust the temperature if you desired.

Joshaaye

This is the heatgun I got from Bunnings, a little bit more, but can adjust the temperature if you desired.
Ooh that's not bad either. Ozito stuff is normally pretty decent for at least entry level stuff. My nail gun is Ozito too.

John_82

New elf
Hi Joshaaye,

I’m new to the hobby also and just today jsunk $750 on 2000 pixels from my tax return too 😂

Questions I have about your setup

I see you are using the falcon controller? have you ordered a smart or differential receiver also? (I didn’t see on your shopping list)

If you are running everything from the one “box” where is that located?
What is the distance between the controller and your start of the pixel runs?
If it is greater than 7.5m you will need to look at null pixels to boost the data signal.

Hansen electronics sell null pixels I believe and falcon sell them too.

I’ve bought the Kulp8-PB as my controller and have 3 x HE123-RX 4 channel differential receivers so that I don’t run everything from a central location and have a distributed layout so my runs from the controllers/receivers are no further than a few meters with my largest run around 6m to the first pixel.

Last edited:

Joshaaye

Hi Joshaaye,

I’m new to the hobby also and just today jsunk $750 on 2000 pixels from my tax return too 😂

Questions I have about your setup

I see you are using the falcon controller? have you ordered a smart or differential receiver also? (I didn’t see on your shopping list)

If you are running everything from the one “box” where is that located?
What is the distance between the controller and your start of the pixel runs?
If it is greater than 7.5m you will need to look at null pixels to boost the data signal.

Hansen electronics sell null pixels I believe and falcon sell them too.

I’ve bought the Kulp8-PB as my controller and have 3 x HE123-RX 4 channel differential receivers so that I don’t run everything from a central location and have a distributed layout so my runs from the controllers/receivers are no further than a few meters with my largest run around 6m to the first pixel.
Wow thank you @John_82 ! I have never heard of a smart differential reciever... What does it do/how do they work? When would I need one? (So no I haven't ordered one haha oops..)

Also, I think I'm going to end up with a couple runs more maybe 10m long. So I think I'd better order some null pixels. I never knew that would be an issue but just watched @AAH 's video and I can see why they're so useful.

I really appreciate you pointing this out. Good luck with your show! It seems like you're in good step for a great show this year.

Joshaaye

Just had a quick look. Looks like if I don't use a null pixel, I'd need one of these yeah? (this is compatible with my board).

So if I understand it correctly:
- I need pixels to start more than 7.5m away
- I run ethernet cable from Controller to differential receiver 15m away
- From there I can plug 4 different strings of pixels in (following the 7.5m rule again) and not have to worry about data corruption

Or I can run a null pixel on each string that has to travel more than 7.5m?

Am I understanding correctly?

Edit: Changed 18AWG cable to Ethernet cable

Last edited:

i13

Dedicated elf
That is mostly correct. You'll also need a differential expansion board in order to use that receiver. https://www.pixelcontroller.com/sto...-receivers/73-f16v4differentialexpansion.html
Edit: I stand corrected. It is possible to use two differential receiver boards without a differential expansion.

The differential expansion board plugs into the F16V4 with a short ribbon cable. The ethernet cable goes between the differential expansion board and up to four runs of differential receiver boards. Differential receiver boards can be daisy chained but my understanding (correct me if I am wrong because the F16V4 is new) is that daisy chaining divides up the total number of pixels supported. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure about the limitations around how this is divided up. Up to two expension boards are supported on one F16V4.

The F16V4 is not shipping until next month so you might be able to ask for additional items to be added to the same order.

An alternative is to use the F48V4. This can run up to 12 differential receiver boards without needing an expansion board. The flipside is that it has no built-in pixel data outputs. You can't run pixels from it without also using differential receiver boards.

The 7.5 metres is only a ballpark figure and it will depend on the controller and cable type that you use. Coaxial cable has a reputation for increasing this limit between the controller and first pixel. If you get caught out, you can use an ordinary pixel to get a few more metres because each pixel resends the signal. If you're powering pixels through the controller, you'll also need to consider voltage drop over this distance.

Last edited:

Joshaaye

Damn.. I think I'm gonna need to draw up a diagram when I get to work just to see if I'm understanding it all hahaha.

Pavle

Rank updated… 2 season veteran
That is mostly correct. You'll also need a differential expansion board in order to use that receiver.

I don't think that's correct. From the Falcon site:
The 4-String Differential SmartReceiver v2.00 Board can be connected to the F16V4, F48V4 or F16V4 Differential Expansion Boards allowing 4 strings to be placed up to 300+ feet from the controllers.

Can be daisy-chained together with other SmartReceivers v2.0 (maximum six per chain). The chain will share the allocated number of pixels configured for the port it is connected to.
My understanding of this is a Smart Receiver board can connected directly to the F14V4 controller via Ethernet cable and then gives you up to 300 feet to place your next distribution point. The Differential expansion board is optional and would further increase your output capabilities.

Joshaaye

My understanding of this is a Smart Receiver board can connected directly to the F14V4 controller via Ethernet cable and then gives you up to 300 feet to place your next distribution point. The Differential expansion board is optional and would further increase your output capabilities.
This ^^^^ was also my understanding after watching this video before bed.

View: https://youtu.be/uyGo76NJ_bM

John_82

New elf

I think this is right
V3 you needed an expansion board
V4 comes with two ports for differential receivers

But remember you may not need these, only if your runs aren’t quite long from the controller. It you have a central point for the controller that can reach all the runs using a null pixel (if required) then you are ok

The smart receivers are good they give you extra ports, can distribute your runs and don’t need as longer lead in cables.
The can also remove the need for power injection as the smart receivers power the pixels too

Last edited:

Joshaaye

Alright, so here's something I whipped up on my phone when I originally was told I'd need an expansion.

The F16v4 has 2 Reciever ports (Which is all I'd need).

So this would be my plan - Ignore the differential expansion now

- F16v4 controller in the middle

- Ethernet cable going from RCVR 1 port to left roof to find 1x differential reciever
- 4 strings of lights attached to reciever (each string less than 300 pixels)

- Ethernet cable going from RCVR 2 port to right roof
- 4 strings of lights attached to reciever (each string less than 300 pixels)

- 4 arches connected straight into controller

Ignore mega & Mini Trees. No longer in show

Then once I have this sorted. I'll work out how to power it all haha.
1626992721421.png

John_82

New elf
Looks like a good plan
Remember though with new receivers you’ll need to build more boxes that include the following and these are off the top of my head:

1. PSU
2. cases
3. cable glands
4. If you have the board mounted on something then motherboard standoffs, m4? screws
5. Fuse holders
6. pigtails

Essentially more $$$

Joshaaye

Yeah, don't worry. With every comment I type, I'm noticing the $$$ go up hahaha