FPP v6 pixel output license

im more confused since i got the email as well..
they have 2 links .. are they offering 2 different types of licenses now? virtual or physical?
No. The physical vs virtual is where you're applying the licenses - a a physical EEPROM on the cape, should it have one, or a virtual EEPROM (a file on the FPP filesystem) should the cape not have one.

also what happened to it being free..?
both there links take you to pay for the stupid license
nothing about free
All answered in the FAQ

Reason i ask question here, is people seem to know more than that https://shop.falconplayer.com shop does.
Since there refusing to respond to emails or even there own forum.
There was a very detailed response to your questions on their forum

I thought the instructions for using the voucher were pretty straight forward and explained the only way to get the key for a grandfathered board was via the link, then add the number of keys that your voucher covers to your cart, go to cart and enter your voucher code

thanks for that skymaster,
for some reason im never informed when there is new messages or have emails from that site.
I see alot of questions got dodged, by something else i said in a sentence. that they reacted too.

brando, when i click on either of the 2 links they both come up to a payed shop.

love this comment the best.. (out of the 8 controllers i sold 6 were to me) ohh he did'nt know that bit..lol

Quote from: smartalec on May 30, 2022, 07:14:52 AMIts Now just a money grabbing thing for you. (The Christmas spirit has left you, and you's became the Grinch stealing people's xmas shows)
Since you's want to stop all other board designers, or make it that hard for there customers.
Just so you can force them to buy your product, because its easyer to use without the license issue's

Since when did the Christmas spirit involve me working hard to write software so that you can open a shop and make money on the software that I wrote? Since when did I commit to continuing to write free software for your business forever?

thanks for that skymaster,
for some reason im never informed when there is new messages or have emails from that site.
I see alot of questions got dodged, by something else i said in a sentence. that they reacted too.

brando, when i click on either of the 2 links they both come up to a payed shop.
Yes but if you add the keys to your cart, then go to cart and enter the voucher code from your email and it will discount to $0

Yes but if you add the keys to your cart, then go to cart and enter the voucher code from your email and it will discount to $0
Yes i have discovered that.
But they also said there not after people's personal info.
But to checkout you must enter your personal info.

Got some more Info.
Yes i have stopped jumping up an down.

Caption emailed me an answered all my questions.
some point i needed clearing up and other might as well
Once a cape EEPROM is signed, it is signed forever. That applies whether you stay on FPP v6 or whether you upgrade to FPP v13 in 7 years. We can't make any promises that new features might require something different, but for the pixel string functionality, that is a one-time signing that will last forever.
I can understand why they went the way they did
David Pitts and I are working together and he is making a cape to use this new code, but before his board is even available, we already have 3 other people who came out with their own cape version because they follow the master code branch of FPP and started using the new channel output.
A primary reason for adding the DPIPixels code was to sell some capes and help support development.
Time to get your Soldering Irons back out
I do notice that you already sell your cape as a kit. In that particular case, the user would be able to get a free voucher for a DIY key so there would be no $30 fee. We consider kits to be DIY and don't intend to charge DIY users any license fees.
You own the License key and not rent it
This is a one-time thing, there is no recurring fee and FPP does not report back or check the validity of a key ever again.
Why they want your info when getting the free License key
The reason we ask for name/email/password is so that we can create an account to tie the user's license keys together and so they can open a ticket if needed. This is also why we don't allow guest checkout even though there is no charge when using a voucher. If a user runs into an issue applying a license key, we would have no way of knowing who that key belongs to if we allowed guest checkout.
That Dreaded Eeprom stuff
I want to make the whole EEPROM thing as easy as possible for vendors, I have been trying to push that lately. I will gladly help create a virtual EEPROM for your cape with simple installation instructions and you can offer it for download on your page. That would give the benefit of your logo appearing in the header of FPP and the name of your cape appearing in the pixel string output page instead of the RGB123 name and logo. I want to make a set of template directories which vendors can copy and use to create their own EEPROMs.
How can we 'As Vendors' still support our future customers, with this new change
We're hoping that vendors will see the value in getting vouchers in bulk and giving them away, both because it is convenient for the end user and it is cheaper since bulk vouchers are discounted. If the vendor gives the user a voucher, then the use just has to spend an extra minute signing their EEPROM once they install FPP.

The Email went alot longer than that.
But im Happy with the info i received,
I hope this might help others with Questions.

Alec.

Oh wow! After a 6 month hiatus from all things pixel and blinky related I have just discovered this. After much reading of the info my understanding is for my BBB/Kulp32 - no licence required, my 3 x F48V3 each have their own Raspberry Pi4 running FPP - no licences required, and my F16V3 with its own Raspberry Pi4 running FPP - no licences required. Is this correct?

Oh wow! After a 6 month hiatus from all things pixel and blinky related I have just discovered this. After much reading of the info my understanding is for my BBB/Kulp32 - no licence required, my 3 x F48V3 each have their own Raspberry Pi4 running FPP - no licences required, and my F16V3 with its own Raspberry Pi4 running FPP - no licences required. Is this correct?
Yep you got it

Is installing a virtual eeprom thing straight forward? I have installed the new OS, I get to the initial setup stuff where it asks if I have a physical eeprom, or if I installed a virtual eeprom on the initial setup page. When I get there, the only thing I can see is that it asks me what installed cape/hat I have. i have a HE123Mk2 which obviously isn't an option. So where do I go from here?

Back