FPP v6 pixel output license

Katekate

Senior elf
Its not just DPI that is being licenced, its also the BBB string output code. (see previous post where I said that.)

Freman

Uh Oh Elf
Generous elf
I don't begrudge the devs trying to earn a little coin, but I'd probably have been happy to pay $10 a year or something for it, given the $100 odd I've given record companies... Perhaps if they produced a "pro" version it would have resulted in less confusion.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
We discussed this a little at the mini to try and make some sense of it all. From my personal perspective (and i'm not involved with either FPP devs or board devs) it feels like its being marketed to stop copy cats making money from it, which from an open source project perspective is the right thing to do. What doesn't quite feel right is that it just happens to favour devs who currently can/do make money from it. If the money to FPP project was the main issue, i'm sure other avenues to raise these funds (a harder push for end users to donate for example) could have been explored first.

SmartAlecLights

Im a SmartAlec what can i say!
Community project designer
Its not just DPI that is being licenced, its also the BBB string output code. (see previous post where I said that.)
but what have they done to the BBB sting output code?
what will it do for my controllers?
will it give me the ability to add more pixels at a better frame rate than currently?

will they charge me for my own controllers an if i sell any of them (they also want my customers to provide details to them) (for a grace license)
(what would you say? if your boss say's, the cafe where you get your coffee from, now wants to know your wages, an since you like there coffee i have to give it to them) - very stupid wording - (there also putting trackers on the cups that you must also pay for)

There will allways be copycats, get over it an make your board better.
-otherwise it comes to the support you offer with your product.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
will they charge me for my own controllers an if i sell any of them (they also want my customers to provide details to them) (for a grace license)
The latter half is so that they can pro-actively contact your customers and offer them the free license, before the end of the year when the grace period for the grand-fathered licenses expires.
You don't have to give them that information, and your customers can discover it on their own. You could also let them know what's going on and give your customers your recommendation.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Written it.

Make them work.
And completely re-written it at that to make it more efficient. It's not the same RGBCape code that was originally around.

Not that I agree with their methods and announcements of introducing the licensing, their reasoning behind it has got some merit.

SmartAlecLights

And completely re-written it at that to make it more efficient. It's not the same RGBCape code that was originally around.

Not that I agree with their methods and announcements of introducing the licensing, their reasoning behind it has got some merit.
but as to what extra advantage tho?
the way i see it.
He rewrote the code, pushed it into FPP, just to charge a license fee just to use his code.
There was nothing wrong with the orginal RGBCape code, So why rewrite it if its not to benifit anyone accept for there pockets $$$$$.

brando

Full time elf
I just received my voucher from FPP. This last sentence is peculiar to me. Does installing FPP6 install a virtual eeprom?

I’ve bought all of my controllers bar one from @AAH and intend to buy more prior to July. He’s been a big help to me getting started so I’ll continue to support his business.

Attachments

• 70908254-2037-40D4-8E58-41B7D24360F0.png
    70908254-2037-40D4-8E58-41B7D24360F0.png
    463.6 KB · Views: 28

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Basically it means that if a physical EEPROM is not detected, you will need to select one of the virtual ones to be signed. For capes that don't have a physical EEPROM which defines the output configuration, you would associate a virtual one for that definition (BBB pin to outputs for example).

Associating one is a matter of selecting a drop down in FPP 6.

dkulp

Full time elf
I have to apologize.... we were hoping to have "beta1" images of FPP 6 (and fppos files) out this weekend so people purchasing vouchers could get them applied easily and really provide feedback and such on the entire process. I ended up testing positive for Covid on Friday (wife tested positive earlier in the week and she got it from one of the kids) and was a bit under the weather all weekend. Hopefully in the next day or two I can get the images ready.

@AAH's boards are interesting... some of them do have eeproms on them, but they are unused. Thus, you likely will need to select a virtual eeprom first, but then the license process may burn it onto the eeprom on the board.

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
I've worked with a colleague on an EEPROM for the HE123. Looking forward to seeing more documentation on the JSON formats @dkulp so that I can get more than just the outputs working out of the box.

SmartAlecLights

Basically it means that if a physical EEPROM is not detected, you will need to select one of the virtual ones to be signed. For capes that don't have a physical EEPROM which defines the output configuration, you would associate a virtual one for that definition (BBB pin to outputs for example).

Associating one is a matter of selecting a drop down in FPP 6.
im more confused since i got the email as well..
they have 2 links .. are they offering 2 different types of licenses now? virtual or physical?

also what happened to it being free..?
both there links take you to pay for the stupid license
nothing about free

Reason i ask question here, is people seem to know more than that https://shop.falconplayer.com shop does.
Since there refusing to respond to emails or even there own forum.