Garden power points & network cable

mborg10

Michael Borg
Planning to neaten up the display even more and put some power points and Ethernet connections around the yard.

I'm not sure but I'm assuming that you shouldn't run Ethernet cable in the same conduit as 240v power cable but can you run the conduits next to each other.

Any issues with having a rj45 connection on the underside of the outdoor GPO. Can you buy these already made or have to make them.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Hey mate, i wouldnt recommend the ethernet plug in the gpo, i would look at some weatherproof ethernet plugs in seperate wall socket, and keep them seperate and use the grey/white for your communications, and the orange conduit for 240v, (these are labelled as Communications and Electrical, not sure if you mean burying the conduit if not the following can be disregarded, minimun depth is 300mm, if you can try and use underground cat6 cabling, this complies with the cabling standards as well,
Sorry mate, if you have any cabling standard questions i can try to help, many ways to do it and trust me when i finally get my house i will be trenching, alot...

mborg10

Michael Borg
I always thought it was 600mm deep for 240v. I knew about the Orange conduit for electrical but didn't know they had different ones for data.

I have a bunch of waterproof rj45 connectors I use for my controller boxes already. I want to mount the GPOs in an enclosure so they are hidden so no issues in having a seperate plate for rj45

Wasn't sure if the magnetic field on the power cable will cause data issues.

Oh and a sparky will wire it up. I'm just doing the grunt work.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Depending on the location its in, being private property, not public area 300mm should be okay, i will double check for you tomorrow, from memory 450mm under public footways, etc,

ԆцряєсϮ

Senior elf
600m deep for power under ground, 450 under concrete.
Data needs 150mm separation from power.
but your sparky will (should) know all this.
He is the one you need to take advice from on this.

B_P_J

Full time elf
Must be different in vic because if power and data in seperate conduit they can be trenched together no seperation

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
I'm about to get a mancave built out the back with power & data coming from the house - I'll advise once they start digging in a few week's time :)

B_P_J

Full time elf
Ok so according to the AS/CA S009:2013 which i had in the car they are as follows:

Underground customer cabling seperation from power cabling.
Telecommunications in white insulating conduit(marked Communication) and Electrical in Heavy Duty Orange conduit(marked Electrical) - minimum seperation is Nil

Depth of Cover
Public footways or Roadways is minimum depth 450mm
Places other than public footways or roadways is minimum depth 300mm
I cant see anything about 600mm depth so not sure on that one, i remember the number but being these rules changed in 2013 maybe thats when it changed, electrician better know these standards too and can inform about the 240v, i do have my open cablers licence but not 240v

ecbailey

Full time elf
You can get interference between network and 240v cabling, however I haven't experienced this. I think it would become more of an issue when you are pushing the length limits with the network cabling or a drop in speed may occur. The magnetic field size increases with higher current so it may be a more prevalent issue if there are higher loads on the 240v wiring than we have (commercial or air con maybe?)

When we had our fountain installed the depth could be reduced by us digging the trench rather than the electrician...not sure why (this was 13+ years ago in VIC).

damona

Full time elf
As far as I am aware Victoria Rules are 600mm underground. Not sure about data, but you should not run data parallel to 240v. I believe the data regs suggest they cross at 90 degrees. You could put the power at 600mm and use **shield** cat 5 at 450mm.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
In reality, network and mains wiring are run in parallel (at varying separations) in the home and office environments with seemingly no ill effects.

I have power and data running side by side in segregated ducting at work in a few places. Some sections are only a couple of metres while others are up to 12 metres at a guess.

As for burial depths, I'll leave that for the people who have read the relevant regulations for their state.

multicast

Senior elf
This is where the "electrical" standards and networking standards vary a little.

From a safety perspective, its fine to run them side by side, if they are conduited separately..
From a performance perspective, you should run them at least 600mm apart if the cable is UTP, so their is no interference from noise on the AC mains. Your milage will vary of course, and the net effect might be nil.

the interference levels are proportional to the square of the distance apart, so if 600mm is not possible, just get them as far apart as possible.. Even moving it from 50mm to 100mm, will result in 4x less "interference"..

Since most of the stuff is running at 100M, things are a bit more tolerant that at Gigabit/10G.