G'day all

nulla28

New elf
Hi there
Newby joining these boards from Bonnet Bay in Sydney. I have had a very basic off-the-shelf set up the last few years and this year am looking to take my first step into synchronisation - dip my toe in this year and hopefully work up to something more comprehensive next year. I'm not from an electronics background so have spent the last 2 days reading and re-reading the intro manual and trawling through many of the threads. My knowledge has increased markedly over these 2 days (from nothing to not much) and I can see this becoming a very satisfying hobby (/obsession) as I get more involved. Needless to say, I have got very little work done this week!

What I have in mind for this year is setting up three leaping arches using 2x 200 BigW lights per each arch, divided into 9 channels on each arch. This would result in 27 channels across the 3 arches. I would then run these back to a 27 channel DMX controller with RJ45 connections connecting back to my computer through a Cat 5 cable connected to a USB dongle on my computer.

The initial issue I am trying to get my head around: the controller I am looking at has 7V-24V DC input, however the LEDs run off 22V AC 10W supply which many of the threads I have read on here equates to approx. 31V DC. The packaging says the bulbs have a 3V 0.01W rating (not sure how the 3V bulb rating factors in).

Long question short, do you think I would be able to connect up a 24V DC power supply to the controller and still run these 6x200 strings? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to sharing my progress with you all!

Cheers
Trent

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Trent
A little late to be getting started but still able to get er done.
Good luck

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
Welcome to ACL Trent.

You'll need a 30V DC power supply as the Big W LEDs won't light with a 24V DC supply.

I think there may be a thread somewhere discussing the max voltage rating of the 27 channel boards and how to increase it a little.

nulla28

New elf
David_AVD said:
Welcome to ACL Trent.

You'll need a 30V DC power supply as the Big W LEDs won't light with a 24V DC supply.

I think there may be a thread somewhere discussing the max voltage rating of the 27 channel boards and how to increase it a little.

Thanks David, would it happen to be this post that you had in mind:
http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?topic=741.msg13875;topicseen#msg13875

From the way it reads, it seems I should be able to run 31V DC input without too many issues?

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf

Eastwood16G

Full time elf
Welcome aboard.

I'm quite successfully running BigW 200 led strings and icicles from a 24Vdc supply wound up to 27Vdc with about 10m of lead between the controller and the first led. If you are running further you may need some more volts at the controller. R

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, I remember as a young kid going to see the lights of Bonnet Bay as most of the people in that areas used to do it, im not sure how many still do it there but last time i went it was a dissapointment.