Good way to solder join power wires

AussiePhil

Dedicated elf
Administrator
This is the way I do it for all wire connections but most importantly for Power cables.

First step is to cut the two ends you want to join with an offset between the two wires, remembering that the longest on one will be the shortest on the other.
Then you can strip a little of the plastic off to reveal the copper cable as the photo below shows.

If you new to this offset the ends by say 25mm (1") and as you get better it can be less.
IMG_0157.png

Next step is to tin the wires, ensuring that you leave plenty of solder on the ends, this means you can just heat them up when you go to join the wires.
IMG_0159.png

Now here's the join completed, you can see how it is naturally protected from shorting out.
IMG_0161.png

Last step is to slide a piece of heat shrink tubing over the join, inject a little bit of silicon and then shrink, this will give a 100% watertight joint.
IMG_0162.png

Heat gun was outside so this is not shrunk yet.

Cheers
Phil

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
Pretty much spot on, thats the way ive done hundreds of connections. But I do a bit of an overkill with my connection protection (Its an electricians habit working with 240 volts) and i add small heat shrink to each wire, then tape up the wires together and then put heatshrink over it all and I also use dual wall heatshrink that has glue, this way there is no way any water is ever going to get in and the strength of the connection is nearly unbreakable.