GS8208 12V pixel strings - A wildcard third option for the 5V vs 12V WS2811 question?

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I purchased about 5000 GS8208 from Shiji this year (5v 2811 from Ray last year). I've had no significant issues with either batch. With the 5000 this year from Shiji, I've had about three fail where they'll show the correct colour, except when they are meant to be black (data still streaming), they stay a dull blue. The issue has been minor enough that I've just left them as they were until I pull everything down.

Sounds like I've had way fewer issues than some others this year.

YMMV, but I'll be sticking with Shiji and GS8208 for my 2023 order.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Hi @dhearne89 so far I'm digging the GS8208 bullet pixels and have started a spreadsheet for a 2023 order of more through Shiji. 😀

This year I did have two sets out of 72 arrive partially defective - one set has a single LED not light up in any colour (LEDs before and after all unaffected), the second has a wiring problem that stops the data passing through. I haven't had any other problems develop after receiving them with either the first batch ordered in 2021 or my second batch in 2022.

I should also mention I had Shiji make light sets in varying quantity strings - 50pc, 20pc and 16pc. The 16pc is the length that has the two defective strings. There was actually a mistake made by them with my 2022 order where the number of strings versus number of LEDs per string got mixed up, so the 16pc arrived as 40pc strings. However I am happy with Shiji's remedy - the agreed solution is they remade the wrong strings to the correct specification for 50% of the quoted price and I kept the incorrect strings for other uses.

Kent

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
@ryanschristmaslights how have you found the four pin connectors? Whilst they did the job just fine, they would be the only thing I felt could be improved. On a couple if I wasn't very careful with lining them up, I could end up with only three of the four pins mating, with the fourth getting bent to the side. The three pin x connectors felt more sturdy.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
I haven't had any issues with the four pin connectors on the light strings or pigtails. The only slight issue I've had is with a couple of end connectors (to fit over the 4-pin connector at end of last string for waterproofing) - last year some of these end connectors pins were made with the same non-conductive material as the connector housing instead of metal pins - with these I found them overly flexible so they got squashed rather than staying rigid. But the end connectors with metal pins I've had no trouble with and all the end connectors in this year's order did all have metal pins so zero problems here.

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
Something I didn't mention is I also had Shiji manufacture the following two connector accessories:
GS8208-Shiji-Order---4-core-m-connector-for-end-of-string---and---2-core-f-connector-for-unuse...jpg

The 4-pin connector (pictured left) attaches to the output of the last string for waterproofing, while the 2-pin connector (pictured right) is intended for closing off unused PI found at pixel 1 of each string (if you choose to have your strings manufactured with PI connector).

This year the limits of my using the included PI connector is only in the same prop - e.g. a Boscoyo chroma ornament bauble with two 50pc strings each, so PI connector of both strings joined together ... and not because I needed to, just that they were there. Same with the four small mini trees I have with separate strings for the tree and star, so joined the PI connectors between tree and star. But between props I haven't had any need for the PI connector.

dhearne89

New elf
Thanks for the update. Sounds like these might be the go. I notice Ray Wu now has the GS8208 available and lists them as a 4-pin x connect plug. I wonder if Shiji uses these just called different or has access to them? Might correct some of the plug issues mentioned by Kent.

I’ve got a conversation going with Emily about ordering some small lots to play with so I’ll see if I can find out

AU $33.89 | 100ct/string DC12V GS8208 addressable RGB full color led pixel pixel;IP68 rated;10cm spacing;18AWG black wire;13.5mm/xConnect

someoneAUS

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
Hi @dhearne89 so far I'm digging the GS8208 bullet pixels and have started a spreadsheet for a 2023 order of more through Shiji. 😀
Looking to order from the same after CNY is all over. Thinking mid feb. Are there any specifics that you recommend asking for. First year for me so am a bit afraid of not knowing what I dont know.

BooY

Topper Man
Looking to order from the same after CNY is all over. Thinking mid feb. Are there any specifics that you recommend asking for. First year for me so am a bit afraid of not knowing what I dont know.
I ordered 50k which I just got notified are now in brissy getting customs processed

I just spec'd for waterproof connectors. I asked for the pi tail as I wanted them. The spacing between pixels as their default is 8cm I opted for 12 most run 10
They came back with wire size options and pigtail options for qty

ryanschristmaslights

Senior elf
Administrator
@someoneAUS: For my 2021 and 2022 orders, both times I asked for black insulation with waterproof connectors each end and PI connector at first pixel, and 10cm spacing edge to edge. If you decide the 50 pixels per string is not appropriate for your application then you may want to request something different, e.g. I ordered a mixture of 50, 20 and 16 pixels per string as that made more sense for the props they were going in. The shorter strings did have a higher per pixel price (3c more for my last order).

When you are given a quote, check all the details and if anything is wrong or something is missing/not specified, do query it before payment. I also only pay 50% upfront with the rest paid once the order is ready to ship out. My orders with Shiji so far have been conducted through Alibaba's trade assurance platform.

BooY

Topper Man
I had a special delervy today :D

h4apyngHMlhsvFns8_8hjeX1AFLXSuBt0Ty07XUqUBG2t9KIFkp9DSeunpsRkk2xy251DVwijYibLwIpdrNPamgx34-7fWrr8ZffLr6M337ynstqUwNKZ1KNJoFzMAJ9IhdkLd0o6w=w2400

o5e5y714UFw4jMIAtvljLxuustwc2SlIY2mY9UvvoYmxRWW4OdL2zQDadHRQV9C96lOqbpi9wJfd3b7U1479Wza6aBNcSQXUjC93QoOLnh9OFwhFQ5UBP9oLv-4-OFS_OjD9XYacQA=w2400
NtuVk1HiAvKGyAk0ca6QcDlhjBgCZLWZR4kW4ztQzaHYVrm7jESXEuUvp3iWusVr3LoknjrtzrdtzY0DMwZxvoO5ZFKJDgboWNZaHY4zsK27hqspvjgDspm1rJn6qI_SckLomqNW4Q=w2400