1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101
Tags:
  1. OP
    OP
    BradsXmasLights

BradsXmasLights WiFi Interactive

Find Me On:
    Not sure about that data sheet - either way it's WS2811 compatible which is 5V based signaling.

I'll have to try a ESPixelStick with it and see if the GS8208 will take 3.3V signaling too. :)

2. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass! Community Project Designer Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Those figures are the maximum working range (without damage) figures. Page 4 has the VIL and VIH figures although they seem to be somewhat screwed up. I think they mean VIL (logic 0) is 1V max and VIH (logic 1) is 4V min ? Maybe there's a more complete data sheet out there.

3. Steve Hobley

Steve Hobley New Elf

Hey thanks, I went with a 74HCT08 AND gate as a logic level shifter, and it seems to work OK. Nice clean 5v output.

When I hooked up the board to the lights however, I get no LED output. When the power turns on, all the LEDs shine white for a fraction of a second, so I think they are good strips.

When I measured the output from the ESPixelStick driver (NodeMCU from Banggood) I noticed that the edge to edge speed was 746KHz - is this too much drift from the spec 800kHz ?

That's the only reason I can think of why the lights would not be working.