Hello from Wagga Wagga

fatback

New elf
Hi all,

I'm looking forward to tapping into this amazing knowledge base and hopefully giving a little back where I can.

I bought a house in a notorious christmas light display area and have now been bitten by the bug... just looking to update and expand on what the previous owner had in place.

I guess as a starter, would it be possible to run a system with light controllers using only ethernet with POE or POE+? I'm just hoping to cut down on the power cord spaghetti that I'm currently dealing with and the thought of not having the cost and hassle of multiple power supplies is fairly attractive.

Thanks in advance and I look forward to meeting you all down the line.

Cheers,

Fatback

AussieDoug

Full time elf
Welcome to ACL, this place will fill your head with more inspiration then your bank (partner) could ever allow.
Have a read through the 101 Manual, it might have some stuff in there that can help.

fatback

New elf
Thanks Doug,

I'm almost at the stage that it's gone from a hobby to a full fledged money pit, but enjoyment still outweighs cost (at this stage).

I read through the 101 Manual last night but wasn't sure if I could see a fully POE powered setup in there, mind you my head was spinning a little by the end of it.

I'll take another look tonight.

I noticed the ECG-P2 from CLAP uses PPOE, but wasn't sure if it would be enough to run the two strings of RGB lights that it says that it is capable of controlling. I guess I need to get my head around some of the calculations as I don't have much of a background in this area (yet).

Cheers for the heads up.

Habbosrus

Back again
G'day Fatback, welcome to ACL. You will a great bunch of people here on ACL and a wealth of knowledge. Sorry I can't help with your query, just wanted to say g'day and welcome.

mborg10

Michael Borg
Welcome to ACL I'm sure someone can help you but not me cause I don't know what Poe or ppoe is.

All I know is i run about 8 power supplies for 6 controllers. 2 x p12s and 4 x p2

fatback

New elf
Hi Michael,

Since I started looking into pixels, I noticed that some RGB controllers operate with Ethernet cable from distribution switches. Some network switches can run power via the Ethernet cable so that you don't need to use a separate power supply. POE (power over ethernet) provides up to 15.4w DC to each connected device, POE+ can deliver up to 25w (dependant on cable length).

I guess I as hoping that the controller and lights might be able to run using the POE without having to run a heap of power supplies.

Not looking promising though :p [/size]

Superman

I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious
Global moderator
Welcome to ACL, Lots to learn here. Your one little bulb should look fantastic blinky away to POE if you get what I mean. ;)

mborg10

Michael Borg
fatback said:
Hi Michael,

Since I started looking into pixels, I noticed that some RGB controllers operate with Ethernet cable from distribution switches. Some network switches can run power via the Ethernet cable so that you don't need to use a separate power supply. POE (power over ethernet) provides up to 15.4w DC to each connected device, POE+ can deliver up to 25w (dependant on cable length).

I guess I as hoping that the controller and lights might be able to run using the POE without having to run a heap of power supplies.

Not looking promising though :p [/size]

Well in that case id say no as all my power supplies are 350w.

25w max could only supply like 75 pixels not even 1 universe. I'm running close to 10,000

fatback

New elf
Yep, point taken fellas. It would be an awesome looking pixel though [emoji6]

Looks like I'll be putting in an order for a few power bricks.

Bird

LOR user
Welcome.gif

to ACL Fatback