perigalacticon

New elf
Hi everyone!

I am new to PC-based holiday light shows. In the past 4 years I learned Arduino and put up some simple sequenced shows (animations only) using ~10x ESP8266 modules as receivers/controllers and a ESP32 as a broadcaster (over WIFI/UDP) to all the ESP8266s. I programmed the shows in Wiring using FastLED and NeoPixelBus. I had a total of about ~1000 pixels running on about 10 props (mostly WS2812B). Then I saw what can be done with sequencing software and I am ready to do it! I decided to go with xLights. I have already watched a few hours of videos and am interested to get things going fast. I expect to do a simple show, and maybe not with music.

I'm interested to talk to anyone about ESPPixelStick, (although it's not recommended I've seen) as my budget is extremely limited this year. I've already uploaded and run the software on one of the ESP8266 Wemos Mini modules. I have a few RPi Zeros I hope to run a player on if possible otherwise I'll get a RPi4. What I'd REALLY like is a complete tutorial, a complete run through, for 1 simple prop, like a line of lights, from the very start to the very end, that goes through all the steps for just one simple prop so I can get the idea of the whole process involved and the things that can be done and then I can go back and add everything else and more complex sequencing. Is there something like this available? Very interested in any recommendations and advice! Thanks so much in advance, I am really looking forward to making shows as a long term endeavor.

Steve