Help requested - PixLite16 Tree setup

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
Greetings from the Gold Coast,

I am setting up a musical sequence in xLights (2018-33) that includes a tree.
This involves sending the sequence from my PC to a PixLite16 (static IP) controller.

When I turn on the tree lights, it does not display what I am seeing on the PC screen.

The tree consists of:

8 x 5m WS2811 12v strips (300LEDs/string).

Each 5m strip folds at the top and then comes down to the base where it connects to the next 5m strip.
They are connected as 4 x 2 strips of 600 LEDs (up/down twice) connected to my PixLite16 controller (outputs 1-4), making a total of 16 up/down strings

ie:
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down, 150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down - that connects to Pixlite output 1
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down, 150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down - that connects to Pixlite output 2
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down, 150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down - that connects to Pixlite output 3
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down, 150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down - that connects to Pixlite output 4

When I configure the Pixlite with 'Advatek Assistant' and setup each output of 170 LEDs (510 channels), then run test, only 510 LEDs react.
This leaves 90 LEDs of the last (down) strip turned off.

If, however, I set the Pixlite with 200 (or340) LEDs per output, then all LEDs react in sympathy with the data sent by the test function and correctly display.

Now, when I setup xLights with 170 LEDs per output and send it to the Pixlite, the PC display looks right (with no errors reported by 'test') but the tree lights do not reflect the display.

I have watched a lot of videos on setting up trees, and have tried various changes to settings, but with no luck so far.
Please help.

Best regards,
Santa Claws

Attachments

• xLights tree node layout.jpg
    xLights tree node layout.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Advatek Asst control.jpg
    Advatek Asst control.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 20
  • xLights layout.jpg
    xLights layout.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 20
  • xLights setup.jpg
    xLights setup.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 21

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
A link to the strip your using might be helpful. Been a while since I used an Advatek. Have you set the output to zigzag in the Advatek Assistant? That would definitely make what you see on the tree not match what you see in Xlights.

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
If I'm reading this correct ... you need 600 pixels per output
use advanced settings on the Pix 16 to setup, more options

https://www.advateklights.com/resources/download-info/pixlite-configuration-guide/

Have read of this... advance section

Hi Dave,
Thank you for our response to my query.
I cannot setup 600 pixels per output, the pixlite16 will only control 340 pixels per output.
I have setup 300 pixels per output as in attached pic., but that didn't work either.

When configuring the controller using Advatek Assistant: to enable the zigzag, do you have to enable the reverse also?

Regards,
Santa Claws

Attachments

• Advatek Asst Output Config.jpg
    Advatek Asst Output Config.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 14

Dave_Szoka

Full time elf
well then in that case
you will need to use more outputs
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down 1
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down 2
150 LEDs up, 150 LEDs down 3

Etc
300 leds per output as thats your max

Once you have done that yes I believe setting the zigzag to 150 should work

SantaClaws

Apprentice elf
I would generally recommend not zigzagging or reversing in your controller. Do that is your sequencer.
Hi Keith,
Thank you for the comment re. my tree setup dilemma.
I have watched your video (xlights primer for defining tree models) for setting up trees and configuring strings etc.again.

What I don't understand is how I reverse the alternate strings to allow the controller to start at the bottom each time.
Currently, my data starts on the left, goes up the tree, then comes down strand two, up strand three, down strand four etc.
(ie. like a snake), and shown in the node layout as such
Surely, the data should start at the bottom on every strand (eg 'fire' effect), therefore requiring a reversal of every even-numbered strand.
So, instead of a sequence like: ABCDEFG-ABCDEFG-ABCDEFG-ABCDEFG, it should be ABCDEFG-GFEDCBA-ABCDEFG-GFEDCBA - or am I wrong?

As you recommend not reversing in the Pixlite controller (and I'm not sure how to do that), please tell me how I organise this in xLights.
Thank you for your assistance.

Assistance from any qualified members would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This thread is very old. An answer might not be needed anymore.