Hi from Perth

Cranzy

Full time elf
Hi :)

I am in the Northern suburbs of Perth and decided to also start getting more into the christmas spirit and totally going overboard with pixel display starting next year. Looking forward to meeting and chatting to like-minded folks here on the forum and also those in Perth.

I am a computer programmer so I should be able to do this - i hope :)

scamper

Dedicated elf
Welcome. Good time to get started. I did the same, started around xmas the year before my first display.
All I can say is, the first year goes by quickly, so don't leave it until September to order your gear. :D
Merry xmas from Collie WA :thumbsup:

Cranzy

Full time elf
Welcome. Good time to get started. I did the same, started around xmas the year before my first display.
All I can say is, the first year goes by quickly, so don't leave it until September to order your gear. :D
Merry xmas from Collie WA :thumbsup:

Thanks. Just trying to wrap my brain around a few things i need (I need a whole understanding of everything before i usually start something) .. but very eager to get ordering and setting up. I'm also thinking of playing with xlights even though i don't have any lights yet to start designing sequences in there.

My first thought initially was to outline the house and roof with strip lights, as they will be nice and straight, but i've been reading and see suggestions on not using striplights and just string of pixels ...

scamper

Dedicated elf
Thanks. Just trying to wrap my brain around a few things i need (I need a whole understanding of everything before i usually start something) .. but very eager to get ordering and setting up. I'm also thinking of playing with xlights even though i don't have any lights yet to start designing sequences in there.

My first thought initially was to outline the house and roof with strip lights, as they will be nice and straight, but I've been reading and see suggestions on not using striplights and just string of pixels ...
I pretty much did the same in that I downloaded xlights and vixen and had a play, I settled on Vixen and haven't changed.
I initially bought a controller 2 strings of lights and a power supply. I downloaded the 101 manual, which if you haven't already done you should and then sequenced a small song, I actually did the pixar intro, and when I got it to do what i want, I was like a kid in a candy shop. I was so excited and I showed the wife and just got a whoopy do:(! When she saw the first show that xmas she changed her tune though :thumbsup:
As far as strips vs pixels, I believe it is all about how you mount them and look after them. I have got strips that I have been using for years and never let me down, The biggest mistake I think people make is trying to attach them too tightly as EVERYTHING including pixel strips expands and contracts with heat and cold, so if you try and attach them too tightly when they try to contract they will break at the weakest point, which is usually the solder joints.
Anyway that is up to you, what you feel comfortable with.
Jump in, the waters fine ;)

Cranzy

Full time elf
Hi and Welcome aboard. I'll be running my display up till Christmas, come and have a chat and share some ideas. I am in Woodbury Mews, Landsdale.
Merry Christmas.
Until when are you running your show? Might be able to pop by.

Tonyf1949

New elf
Hi I’m in Samson ct Duncraig. Come around and check out my display before I dismantle it in the new year. It’s on every night until 31/12
Have Falcon and XLights

Cranzy

Full time elf
Hi I’m in Samson ct Duncraig. Come around and check out my display before I dismantle it in the new year. It’s on every night until 31/12
Have Falcon and XLights
So basically I have tomorrow to come and check it out :) You at home during the arvo/early evening?

Danno

Apprentice elf
Hey Cranzy, i'm also gearing up for my first display next year. I'm in Gwelup. Where abouts are you located?
I'm keen to catch up, discuss ideas, etc. I've got some hardware and a few pixels working at the moment and very much in the midst of planning what my display will look like before buying too many pixels :)

I have a software engineering background too (ex Java developer, now working in Solution architecture). I love the fact that this hobby combines so many of my loves - electronics & hardware, programming and flashy lights!!

There seems to be quite a few of us from Perth on these forums!

Cranzy

Full time elf
Hey Cranzy, i'm also gearing up for my first display next year. I'm in Gwelup. Where abouts are you located?
I'm keen to catch up, discuss ideas, etc. I've got some hardware and a few pixels working at the moment and very much in the midst of planning what my display will look like before buying too many pixels :)

I have a software engineering background too (ex Java developer, now working in Solution architecture). I love the fact that this hobby combines so many of my loves - electronics & hardware, programming and flashy lights!!

There seems to be quite a few of us from Perth on these forums!

I am up in Alkimos.
I am just gonna over order lights and hope I live to tell about it later when my wife finds out how much I'm spending :)
I have no hardware yet, so I need to buy before I can play around. Busy learning xlights so I can start modelling and see what looks good.
How many pixels do you have already?

Danno

Apprentice elf
I have about 300 pixels :p A combination of strips, bullets and icicles. I bought them, along with a heap of pigtails and other cables to play around with and just get XLights setup and some very basic sequencing going on and pushing out to the pixels.

I am focusing on building my controller & enclosure right now (3 meanwell PSU's, F16v3, expansion boards, F8 distros) while work out what layout I want for 2019.
I have a fairly small frontage out the front of my house, so I am planning on using 12V for my rooflines, and 5V for all my props. Planning on running everything from a single enclosure, with perhaps a power injection enclosure up on the roof if needed.

My high level plan is to have a rough layout of the display ready by the end of Feb so that I can start doing power calculations, and buying & making props. I have a toddler and a new born so it's going to take a while!! LOL

Cranzy

Full time elf
I have about 300 pixels :p A combination of strips, bullets and icicles. I bought them, along with a heap of pigtails and other cables to play around with and just get XLights setup and some very basic sequencing going on and pushing out to the pixels.

I am focusing on building my controller & enclosure right now (3 meanwell PSU's, F16v3, expansion boards, F8 distros) while work out what layout I want for 2019.
I have a fairly small frontage out the front of my house, so I am planning on using 12V for my rooflines, and 5V for all my props. Planning on running everything from a single enclosure, with perhaps a power injection enclosure up on the roof if needed.

My high level plan is to have a rough layout of the display ready by the end of Feb so that I can start doing power calculations, and buying & making props. I have a toddler and a new born so it's going to take a while!! LOL

Nice. Yeah, I know what you mean my taking a while, I have a 3 month old.
I am currently deciding between the F16V3 and the F48.