Hi from Wakerley, Brisbane QLD

Graeme Allan

New elf
Hello my name is Graeme from Brisbane, Wakerley 4154. Came across this site as I have been searching for new types of Xmas lights which seems a struggle. It's all the same same. Have spent around 4-5k from retail stores over the last 2 years. Got the gutter light in a full kit controllable with a remote from eBay in Korea. Beyond this i have installed RGB downlights that allow you to change the colour with your iphone app & also RBG bulbs in the coke can style lights beside the entry. Keen to try something new especially with the gutters roof etc. Below are links to my display

http://www.bamgarage.com/images/acl/22.png
http://www.bamgarage.com/images/acl/33.png
http://www.bamgarage.com/images/acl/44.png

I have taken a screen shot of something that I would like to do from the auschristmasgallery (the one in the middle)

http://www.bamgarage.com/images/acl/55.png

I have read most of the user manual so far. The idea makes sense but a lot of words and finer details are beyond me. I suppose if someone could help me compile a shopping list I could make it a success? Once i have everything infront of me it should make it easier for me to figure it out. Not sure if anyone is keen to help and if you can throw a guesstimate out there as to how much an intrecate display like this would cost just roughly to the nearest thousand.

Thanks all.

keithsw1111

Senior elf
Start with your sequencing software ... most use xLights a few Vixen ... draw up your house to decide what you want.

Most get their lights from Ray or Paul in china.

Bullet pixels around around USD$20 for 50. power supplies about the same and they will run about 8 strings or so depending on brightness. A falcon controller will run you to USD$200 or so depending on configuration. Good for 10-16K pixels again depending on layout. Pigtails etc also need to be bought.

If you go with Coro props add $50-100 each mostly due to shipping.

Availability this late in the year on some of these items can be tricky so move fast.

All up 2-3K you can get a decent start ... big displays cost more.

djgra79

My name is Graham & I love flashing lights!
Global moderator
Generous elf
HI Graeme, I'm Graham :)
Welcome to ACL, Lots of info in the forum threads already but if you want something specific or cant find it, jump into chat at anytime, there's always someone about.
Good to get a plan together of what you want to achieve and then focus on parts of it at a time, so you dont blow your mind and budget all at once!

Jay.S

Full time elf
Hi Graeme, I am not Graham... But unlike Graham, I live close, Graeme.... Some good advice already. but feel free to reach out. This is my second year with pixels so I am a solid season ahead of you :)

Graeme Allan

New elf
Hello everyone thanks for the replies. Thank you for the advise too. So starting with the sequencing software is so I can figure out where I want to put lights etc then shopping list would come next I guess. Great. I will be sure to message the local folk so if there is anyone else local by all means touch base with me or post up here. I see a lot of talk about the falcon controllers and not to buy off eBay. Where is the go to place for these?

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Hi Graeme - welcome to ACL. Unlike David, I did live (relatively) close (Albany Creek) but now I am far (Darwin).
That's a really nice display you have already. The corner block would look great when its all setup. Not sure where you want to get to this year.
From my perspective, concentrate on getting your build first. Not a lot of time between now and December. Most people have been working on it for a year already. Dont worry about sequences. If you use xLights, a lot of people have shared sequences that can be easily imported to your display (sequencing could take hours to complete just for a 3 minute). Without props, you have nothing to show your sequences on.
Any questions post them, or pop into chat. Always someone hanging around.

Brad