Hi - how do you stop people from touching? (Temporary fence?)

Phillhutcho

New elf
I have created a fence out of steel stakes with rope light strung across at 500mm high and back around 1m high. which stopped everyone from entering last year and incorporated into the light display

Attachments

• 247036332_283520893635116_5975536087680446966_n.jpg
    247036332_283520893635116_5975536087680446966_n.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 14

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Visiting a thread from last year....
I didn't want a rope fence. Then I was forced to by the number of kids running into items on the lawn in 2021.

For those kids which went under the rope:
  • My solution was using FPP to play a sequence saying to 'keep off the display'. I triggered this from FPP big buttons plugin.
  • For 2022; I am planning to do the same but use a dedicated RF remote and receiver connected to FPP Pi's GPIO, this is because my phone took around 15 seconds to open and load FPP webpage.
1664013086553.png

A 'double line' fence like @Phillhutcho 's one would be an idea.
2022 I plan to use some standard lights as a fence and then a secondary rope line lower down would be less noticeable.

Spoiler content hidden. Log in to see this content.

bpratt

Senior elf
Visiting a thread from last year....
I didn't want a rope fence. Then I was forced to by the number of kids running into items on the lawn in 2021.
Part of the problem was your snow machine blowing pretty much all of the 'snow' in to your fenced off area. :)

The 'snow' was virtually telling the kids to 'come play in the fenced area'. :)

My smoke and bubble machine mostly lands on my concrete driveway, but you can guarantee when you get a breeze that blows it straight in to the 'no kids' zone, they'll be right in there following the bubbles.

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
My smoke and bubble machine mostly lands on my concrete driveway, but you can guarantee when you get a breeze that blows it straight in to the 'no kids' zone, they'll be right in there following the bubbles.
I would keep them down at the letter box but I'd rather them being away from the road.

There's not too many kids going into the zone :).

CargoLights

Apprentice elf
Generous elf
I made posts from 2 inch PVC that slip over a 2x2 post that I drove into the ground. I 3D printed globes for the top, ran red tape spiraling up them, and added strip in a spiral as well. I then attached Boscoyo Chromatrim to them with pixels in it. It made a nice fence and kept people from leaving the sidewalk. Cargo Lights.JPG

Kingfisher

Apprentice elf
Part of the problem was your snow machine blowing pretty much all of the 'snow' in to your fenced off area. :)

The 'snow' was virtually telling the kids to 'come play in the fenced area'. :)

Last year I ran a smoke/bubble machine, and while alot of the bubbles landed in the yard I was quite lucky that most kids respected the orange bit of plastic that I put up and it was kinda funny watching them crawl under it with a foot still outside to attempt to hit the bubbles.

This year I plan on adding in a snow area, I'm looking at using a few standard strings of lights to create a little, area right under the snow machine, that will also have a nice chair and a nice backdrop for people to take some wintery pics with.

I'm not too sure how my plan will hold up, so I am still looking into other methods to create a fence that's easy to set up and pull down.