Hi, I'm Trevor from Campbelltown, NSW! :-)

trevor_

New elf
Hi everyone!

I'm a complete novice here, but I'm so excited to begin this journey and learn more and more about lighting controllers.

I'm not really sure where to start, but I'll start doing my research and hopefully some of your wise knowledge rubs off on me.

Thanks all :)

DarkwinX

Full time elf
Welcome @trevor_

Best place to start is the 101 manual. It's a little out of date but still very useful.

trevor_

New elf
Welcome @trevor_

Best place to start is the 101 manual. It's a little out of date but still very useful.

Thanks! I'll definitely give it a read tonight. :)

Mark_M

Annoying Elf
Welcome along to ACL!

As a simple and cheap starting point, I would suggest a DIY pixel controller with an ESP32 (~$8*), some pixels and a power supply.
I think it's a good starting point to tinker with pixels while having a low cost.
This video uses an ESP8266, which is a cheaper version (by like $1) of the ESP32. However I suggest the ESP32 because it has more processing power.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXLOqGa-n5A

(*Price common from AliExpress (buying direct from China)).

A pixel light show is a hobby, it takes time and money!
So welcome to the fun! 🤪

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
It seems that my reply to your email saying that you should join ACL may have been a bit late.
Absolutely awesome group of people here. Have a look at the display locations and see what/who is around you and have a look at the display videos and see what you like.

Derf

am now a 5v hypocrite
Hello from the otherside of the Highway!

Im in Narellan about to setup my display feel free to reach out more than happy to show you some stuff as I setup. There are few of us in the local area or if you head up a blacktown / kellyville area there are also others.

lots and lots of suppliers around australia where you could possibly get something up (maybe 5-10 strings to get your head around xlights / hardware).

trevor_

New elf
It seems that my reply to your email saying that you should join ACL may have been a bit late.
Absolutely awesome group of people here. Have a look at the display locations and see what/who is around you and have a look at the display videos and see what you like.
Haha yes @terrysw gave me a run down of the basics, but I'm still wrapping my head around the setup and what components to get!
I really appreciate your help!

trevor_

New elf
Hello from the otherside of the Highway!

Im in Narellan about to setup my display feel free to reach out more than happy to show you some stuff as I setup. There are few of us in the local area or if you head up a blacktown / kellyville area there are also others.

lots and lots of suppliers around australia where you could possibly get something up (maybe 5-10 strings to get your head around xlights / hardware).
That's awesome - thanks so much. I'll send you a PM. :)