How do you attach your Lights to a Colorbond Roof Line?

jarredk

New elf
Yup. I think i will only use short sections that mount to the gutter instead of full length to save on material though.

brando

Full time elf
I’ve been stuck on a best option for my ridge caps. I’m probably not the first to do this but I haven’t seen it anywhere else. This is just a piece of make-a-bracket, with magnets at centre and the outsides, screw through to a conduit clip.

Holds super strong. Now to paint it up and add heat shrink to the centre magnets. At least now my lines will be in the centre

D4B53114-EAB4-4E3C-B163-238CF07C90AA.jpeg09726C5F-0C8D-4D6E-881F-97587FBAB955.jpeg127E58B8-0C27-4D48-B516-B6128995C82F.jpeg

brando

Full time elf
For gutters I cut 4 hole pieces of the same make-a-bracket, bent over the gutter and screwed conduit clip. Will cushion the back of the screws to reduce scratching, but these are holding up a 5m length full of pixels without bending or any issue. Gives me the clearance for the wires and control over the direction I want the pixels pointing91017AA7-693D-49F8-9970-607659389CA9.jpeg6AE58864-89A5-4A43-A713-AA54DF39324A.jpegF191998E-5FE0-4C50-961F-5234532938CE.jpeg

brando

Full time elf
Conduit I quickly screwed together timber scraps for the jig. 12mm forstner bit through both sides, and come back with a 16mm forstner for the back for clearance to put the pixel through
B84BE3C2-8663-477D-A497-43AB8ED4A80C.jpeg8B9CD9AB-D4C0-46E4-92BE-CE36912ED441.jpeg

Dreamin

Full time elf
Conduit I quickly screwed together timber scraps for the jig. 12mm forstner bit through both sides, and come back with a 16mm forstner for the back for clearance to put the pixel through
View attachment 19778View attachment 19779
For gutters I cut 4 hole pieces of the same make-a-bracket, bent over the gutter and screwed conduit clip. Will cushion the back of the screws to reduce scratching, but these are holding up a 5m length full of pixels without bending or any issue. Gives me the clearance for the wires and control over the direction I want the pixels pointingView attachment 19775View attachment 19776View attachment 19777
That's a great idea. Love the magnet roof one too for centering.

bpratt

Senior elf
I’ve been stuck on a best option for my ridge caps. I’m probably not the first to do this but I haven’t seen it anywhere else. This is just a piece of make-a-bracket, with magnets at centre and the outsides, screw through to a conduit clip.

Holds super strong. Now to paint it up and add heat shrink to the centre magnets. At least now my lines will be in the centre
So what is your source of magnets for these please ?

brando

Full time elf
So what is your source of magnets for these please ?
The ones used here are

Though I have a heap of the Bunnings ones with hooks. I’m going to use them, take the hooks out, grind down the thread so they sit flat.
The eBay ones are strong but the Bunnings ones are a heap stronger, so will use them in situations where I need a bit more grip

Dez

Fueled by Christmas - Inspired by You!
I’m getting some brackets 3D printed to fit some rare earth magnets. Then pouring clear epoxy resin over them to seal them in and prevent scratching of roof and rust appearing.

Floss_LUC

New elf
I’m getting some brackets 3D printed to fit some rare earth magnets. Then pouring clear epoxy resin over them to seal them in and prevent scratching of roof and rust appearing.
Are you able to share your 3D print file please?

Goomba_aus

New elf
Im printing some 3d brackets also. Interested in how you are doing the epoxy over them? I.E not too thick to reduce magnet strength. Are you doing the whole printed clip or somehow just the pockets where the mags sit in?
Ive done the heat tube, but It seems to reduce mag strength after heating (could be user).
Thank you in advance.

Goomba_aus

New elf
I thought about doing the whole clip like that and magnet in one, but prefer the cover for the magnet so it doesn't scratch the paint on my gutter and colourbond roof when moving around into position etc. My magnets don't have a screw hole either. I just designed my mount myself, took about 10 mins, and printed in PETG 0.3mm in 23mins. :laugh::thumbsup: The clips are cheap as chips from bunnings from memory, or I can make them separate.

Also just be sure your printing the right size, he's talking inches on that link which might cause you issues, because you can't just scale it up. ;)
any chance you can share the file please?

thank you

fugley

Apprentice elf
Im printing some 3d brackets also. Interested in how you are doing the epoxy over them? I.E not too thick to reduce magnet strength. Are you doing the whole printed clip or somehow just the pockets where the mags sit in?
Ive done the heat tube, but It seems to reduce mag strength after heating (could be user).
Thank you in advance.
if your going to go the trouble of 3D printing a clips wouldnt you be better redesign that clip to your needs ?

printing something with a thin bottom where the magnet is pushed in from the side opening then maybe hot glue the end to stop the maget exting

clip.jpg

108CAM

Proud to have the largest display on my street!
I just bought a light kit that consists of 4 reindeers and a Santa sleigh which I would like to mount on my roof which is made from Colourbond.
A Google search on how to mount lights and decorations to the roof brings up methods that only work with shingles or roof tiles and I don't know of any way to mount my new decoration other than to slightly loosen the screws holding the sheets so I can wrap wire around the threads and through the metal frames for the 5 parts that make up my decoration.
Any other ideas?