How I build my boxes

davrus

Silent elf
David_AVD said:
It's a special tool. I prefer the hexagonal type. I've added links in my post above.

Does the hexagonal tool have other uses, or is it dedicated to crimping bootlace ferrules ?

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
I have noticed most people seem to have female pigtails coming out of their control boxes. Is there a reason for this. I have done it too but only because I copied what I see.

Benslights

Dedicated elf
I do it that way for all power out so I can not accidently hit the male ends. Just a safety issue for me with all power

benzor84

Apprentice elf
davrus said:
How have you fixed the equipment inside the case ?

Why the extra fans, when your outlets are positioned directly above the power supply fans ?

Everything is mounted to a sub frame i made out of aluminium angle. I mounted a piece of steal to the back of the box with reverts and lots of silicon to keep it water tight, I taped holes in this so it acts like a captive nut for the 2 x m8 screws between the big 5v psu's.

The fans are their because I'm a big believer in forced cooling and they are only 4 bucks each.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Mm said:

Without air being forced through the vents no air will circulate through that Matt. The 2 vents are pretty much the same height and with 700W of power supply in that box you could have up to 100W of heat to get rid of.
If you're relying on the 1 clamp to try to seal about 6 cables there is a very high likelihood at if the wires are rained on capillary action will wick water through any gaps that are there.

Mm

Silent elf
In response to the issues pointed out.

I will be injecting silicon in to the cable inlets to keep the rain at bay. I did this last year to great success. Also, I will be installing fans on each side to create air flow in the box.

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
Thought I would throw in my boxes.

Main controller box - Still Have a Pixlite 4 to install.
Main Controller Box1.jpg Main Controller Box2.jpg Main Controller Box.jpg

Matrix Controller Box - Still have a Pixlite 4 to install
Matrix Controller Box.jpg

Now for the sequencing, only done 1 song and would like to have 10 done before xmas.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
Wow you've got some stuff jammed in those boxes Geoff. Most of my boxes are built almost the same and are pretty much interchangeable and both due to the fact my yard is huge and centralised mounting doesn't suit and also for the ability to repair any issues I go with 1 power supply/ 1 controller/ 1 box. Each of those gorgeous plastic boxes probably cost the total of what my dozen or more cost.

scamper

Dedicated elf
Cumon... This is meant to be a hobby damit :eek:
What's with all this professional looking gear???? You are making some of us feel inadequate :-\

But really, nice work :D

davrus

Silent elf
Alan, a question about the dog food bags....

When the bags are covering the enclosure, how do you ensure the hot air circulates away from the enclosure air input ? (ie, it gets ejected from the bag)

ChristmasInKaralee

Senior elf
A centralized approach works well for me as my yard is small and everything accessable from the garage. The box was only $120 so worked out a lot cheaper then a Dozen small boxes and I don't need to worry about water proofing.

The best thing about this if say a P2 fails then all I need to do is move the cat 5 cable to another P2 or Pixlite for testing and as I will have a complete 4 universe port spare would only take 1 min to reconfigure.