HOW TO: Reject shop 100mm ball modifications

OzAz

Senior elf
Global moderator
Out of interest, what did everyone do with their leftover original leds, battery, solar panel, etc?

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
Out of interest, what did everyone do with their leftover original leds, battery, solar panel, etc?
I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking about getting a little dome and stake and putting them in the garden....
Seriously though, I was thinking about putting them under the eaves just uncovered. Has not progressed passed a thought though.

ElSalZi

Full time elf
Have been thinking of cutting the base of some wine bottles and using them as covers over candle lights... can't see why it can't be modified to use the guts of these lights... and stay permanently outside?!?!

bottle lights diy there are so many examples out there ....

QLDKing(Brad)

Senior elf
If anyone is looking for an alternative, I ordered a set of 5V 2811 LED pixel nodes with 50cm pigtails from Ray.
I drilled out the existing hole in the base to accommodate allow the wires to come through the base (rather then the stake). The good thing with these pixels is it comes with a plastic base with a hole so I added two pixels to a base on alternative angles, and screwed them into the post that the previous solar light was connected to. Not sure how they look yet, but I will upload a video once I have completed all 10.
UPDATE - Link to video

Brad

Last edited:

DavidJ247

Full time elf
Looks good Brad. I did a similar thing with 12V square nodes and it works well. 1 node was OK but 2 really gives a bright solid colour. I found by positioning the two lamps as close to centre as possible it gives a nice even diffusion without any real hot spots.