I think there may be something wrong with some of my Falcon F16-v3 Controller’s Ports

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
I have three Arches, which I built all at the same time and in the same manor. These Arches are Spinarchy Minis, which have a total of 823 12v Pixels each, which are currently all running at 23% power. Each Arch has its own Power supply (which I know is a bit of overkill) and they don’t draw any power from my Falcon F16-v3 controller, but all of the Negative wires are commoned up. The Arches plug directly into the Controller and the cables are no longer than about 3-4 meters each.

I have made the Arches with two strings each (first string 1-500 pixels and the second at 501-823, or 323 pixels for the second string), so the three Arches use 6 ports in total. I have cut the positive wire after every 100 Pixels, and then sealed both ends of the positive wire. I then used the supplied Power Injection wires to inject power into the centre of each section (e.g., after the 50th Pixel).

However, one Arch works perfectly, one has a few pixels that seem to do their own thing, and the third one is just out of control! Some pixels seem to flash, even with no data being sent to them, and once I send a simple Colour Wash test patten, I get most of the Pixels just flashing random colours.

Can anyone let me know what is going wrong, and how I can fix it?

From an earlier Facebook post, I was advised to swap over my ports, which I’ve just done. However, the issue actually appears to be with the Ports coming out of the Controller, as any arch connected to the good set of Ports, seems to behave itself. Can anyone advise how I can fix this Falcon F16-v3 Controller related issue?

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
First thing is to chase a physical problem with the arches. So move #3 to #1, # to #3. Does the problem follow the arch or follow the layout? Then swap 2 for 3 and check. If you determine it is a particular arch then obviously check your connections. If it is physical layout (#3 is always the problem) then check, double check and triple check your configurations. Something to try that is "easy"...add an extra ground cable to "the end" of each arch.

burnt

Full time elf
what -ve wire size do you have between psu's and controller

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
IF everything is wired exactly the same on all three arches and power supplies and it's seems to be on a couple controller ports I would second the factory reset, checking the firmware which is general good practice, and repushing the configuration. I had an issue for my Halloween show on a couple of my props and it turned out to be the configuration.

Giles1

Giles
Generous elf
Was this arch present at a qld mini a couple of years ago? Sounds like the -ve reference is not continuous across the other props?
Yes, it was. I thoughts I had checked the Negative connections, but I'll recheck them again now.

darylc

404 darylc not found
if you suspect your falcon has problem ports, unplug props from all ports, factory reset the controller, *don't upload from xlights*, put the controller in test mode, and grab a string of known good pixels and plug into port 1, check if it works, unplug it, move it to port 2 and continue until you've tested all ports.

BAZMick

Full time elf
Generous elf
Yes, it was. I thoughts I had checked the Negative connections, but I'll recheck them again now.
Welcome to swing by the factory of an afternoon or meet up somewhere on the weekend to go over the other 2 👍

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Second what Daryl mentions. I have seen issues in zoom room where a corrupt push from xLights was the cause.

Indigogyre

Journeyman Elf
Generous elf
Yeah, with the latest versions of xLights I get more corrupted pushes lately it seems. Or just bad luck on my part.