1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

In the news - 331,038 lights in Canberra

Discussion in 'The Family Room' started by random, Dec 7, 2011.

1. random

random New Elf

http://www.news.com.au/features/christmas/seen-the-light-canberra-familys-christmas-display-breaks-guinness-world-record/story-fn77atzo-1226215184195

If not already an ACL member then he bloody well should be ;)

2. joekin

joekin Apprentice Elf

wow can any one else here even come close to that?. maybe if everyone brings their light to my place next year we could go for the record. ;) . just a thought.

3. AAH

AAH I love blinky lights :) Community Project Designer

Find Me On:
    My place is a bit sparce. Probably got 2 or 3 km of strings and maybe 30,000 lights. I don't measure and count. It's just an edumacated guess based on the elements I have up and knowledge of what I've bought. I think it would only take a couple of the big displays like AussieXmas (Geoff) to get to that number though.

4. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On:
    Well he has says that this is his last year, and he hopes that someone will take over it for him next year... Any ACT members willing to put up their hand?

That being said, I think 20,000 lights synchronised would look much between then 300,000+ just sitting there quietly.. Quality over quantity, I say!

5. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    I reakon lets get his interest going and someone in Canberra drop an ACL flyer into his letter box so he can make those lights actually do something, who knows he may give it another year and add control to his lights

6. Bird

Bird Proud LOR user

Sounds like someone should pick up the charity where he is leaving off.
    Maybe move it to a public location.

"Despite the four year investment in the light display Mr Richards said won't be doing it all again next year, saying he hoped to be able to donate the lights to someone else who would continue to use them to raise money for Sids and Kids."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/features/christmas/seen-the-light-canberra-familys-christmas-display-breaks-guinness-world-record/story-fn77atzo-1226215184195#ixzz1fse3Vdld

7. charltonmick

charltonmick New Elf

The display is fantastic. He is already using LOR controllers to control majority of the lights to music. I saw it last year and it was great. I wish my block was bigger and i would take on that opportunity. Maybe i need to open up the back yard for the show too.

8. DavidR

DavidR New Elf

Hi Guys - I am a member, I joined a while ago, but have been distracted putting up lights. We were officially awarded the world record yesterday morning. Guinness are delivering the Certificates this morning and I am going to put one up on the gate at the entrance to my display.
    Having said that we are the first and I have no doubt there are others out there with more lights and the record won't stand for long.

And yes, my display is sychronised. I have 360 Lightorama channels with another 16 ch box due tomorrow. I ordered it in Oct.

David

9. Superman

Superman I Have C.L.A.P and its very infectious Global Moderator

Find Me On:
    Here's some video of the display on utube. I love some of the commentary especially" You can't tell me this isn't professionally done"

Well done DavidR

christmas lights in canberra

10. fasteddy

fasteddy I have C.L.A.P Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    Congrats on the world record, great to see us Aussies pushing the boundaries

11. joekin

joekin Apprentice Elf

At least you can say that you have held the title. some thing that most/all of us will never be able to say.

Well done. I guess you will be buying next years copy of Guinness World record then. lol.

Have you got any good photos/video of your display for thous of us who are not able to visit you display.

12. OP
    OP
    random

random New Elf

Congrats on the world record David, doesn't matter what happens next year the point is this year you are officially the most CLAP-infected person on the planet :D

fantastic effort.. that's a LOT of lights (guiness world record candidate for biggest understatement of the year).

13. DavidR

DavidR New Elf

My official Certificate

Attached Files:

14. Benschristmaslights

Benschristmaslights Dedicated Elf Global Moderator Generous Elf

Find Me On:
    congrats on the record David

15. kane

kane Dedicated Elf

Find Me On: