In the news - 331,038 lights in Canberra

random

New elf
Canberra father David Richards has just attempted to claim the Guinness world record for the biggest Christmas lights display in the world with a whopping 27 kilometres of lights.

Mr Richards used 29,630m of LED strings, 15,000 cable ties and one 18m of light-controlled tree to become the first to hold the record for the largest outdoor light display.

Guinness World Records told Mr Richards he would have to surpass 250,000 lights and is confident he will make the record books.
http://www.news.com.au/features/christmas/seen-the-light-canberra-familys-christmas-display-breaks-guinness-world-record/story-fn77atzo-1226215184195

If not already an ACL member then he bloody well should be ;)

joekin

Apprentice elf
wow can any one else here even come close to that?. maybe if everyone brings their light to my place next year we could go for the record. ;) . just a thought.

AAH

I love blinky lights :)
Community project designer
My place is a bit sparce. Probably got 2 or 3 km of strings and maybe 30,000 lights. I don't measure and count. It's just an edumacated guess based on the elements I have up and knowledge of what I've bought. I think it would only take a couple of the big displays like AussieXmas (Geoff) to get to that number though.

kane

Dedicated elf
joekin said:
wow can any one else here even come close to that?. maybe if everyone brings their light to my place next year we could go for the record. ;) . just a thought.
Well he has says that this is his last year, and he hopes that someone will take over it for him next year... Any ACT members willing to put up their hand?

That being said, I think 20,000 lights synchronised would look much between then 300,000+ just sitting there quietly.. Quality over quantity, I say!

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
I reakon lets get his interest going and someone in Canberra drop an ACL flyer into his letter box so he can make those lights actually do something, who knows he may give it another year and add control to his lights

Bird

LOR user
Sounds like someone should pick up the charity where he is leaving off.
Maybe move it to a public location.

"Despite the four year investment in the light display Mr Richards said won't be doing it all again next year, saying he hoped to be able to donate the lights to someone else who would continue to use them to raise money for Sids and Kids."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/features/christmas/seen-the-light-canberra-familys-christmas-display-breaks-guinness-world-record/story-fn77atzo-1226215184195#ixzz1fse3Vdld

charltonmick

New elf
The display is fantastic. He is already using LOR controllers to control majority of the lights to music. I saw it last year and it was great. I wish my block was bigger and i would take on that opportunity. Maybe i need to open up the back yard for the show too.

DavidR

New elf
charltonmick said:
The display is fantastic. He is already using LOR controllers to control majority of the lights to music. I saw it last year and it was great. I wish my block was bigger and i would take on that opportunity. Maybe i need to open up the back yard for the show too.

Hi Guys - I am a member, I joined a while ago, but have been distracted putting up lights. We were officially awarded the world record yesterday morning. Guinness are delivering the Certificates this morning and I am going to put one up on the gate at the entrance to my display.
Having said that we are the first and I have no doubt there are others out there with more lights and the record won't stand for long.

And yes, my display is sychronised. I have 360 Lightorama channels with another 16 ch box due tomorrow. I ordered it in Oct.

David

joekin

Apprentice elf
DavidR said:
Having said that we are the first and I have no doubt there are others out there with more lights and the record won't stand for long.

At least you can say that you have held the title. some thing that most/all of us will never be able to say.

Well done. I guess you will be buying next years copy of Guinness World record then. lol.

Have you got any good photos/video of your display for thous of us who are not able to visit you display.

random

New elf
Congrats on the world record David, doesn't matter what happens next year the point is this year you are officially the most CLAP-infected person on the planet :D

fantastic effort.. that's a LOT of lights (guiness world record candidate for biggest understatement of the year).