Injecting 24v

uncledan

Senior elf
Generous elf
My point was to test a string of 12v in the exact way you're using the 24v, but inject with 12v rather than 24v. If you have continuity on the data line you might have a problem there

wazsxr

New elf
The 24V seed pixels I've played with have the power for each six LEDs in series, but the data still goes through each individual pixel, so whilst you must cut them after every 6th LED, you still get individual LED control. Not sure if your strip is configured the same way.
In your initial post you mentioned 5 LEDs partially lighting which made me think perhaps you're dealing with a cut in the wrong place, but in the post above you mentioned 6 light up at 12V, so perhaps not.
I think I've just miscounted looking at the strip now, no cuts at this stage; it's still on the reel. Looking at the actual strip I can see that they have one chip every 6 pixels so I think I've been duped by Ali.
Does anyone have a strip they can recommend and used before with the Falcon that would be good for a big tree? These were 60 pixels/m.

Notenoughlights

400,000+ twinkly lights
I think I've just miscounted looking at the strip now, no cuts at this stage; it's still on the reel. Looking at the actual strip I can see that they have one chip every 6 pixels so I think I've been duped by Ali.
Does anyone have a strip they can recommend and used before with the Falcon that would be good for a big tree? These were 60 pixels/m.
For WS2814: 24v is one chip per 6 leds on strip. 12v is a chip every 3 leds. What you have is normal.

wazsxr

New elf
big tree and strip?! 🤯 Boscoyo strip and nodes is the way to go
I suppose "big" is relative haha. 2.5m strips on each string x 10 to make up a flat half tree. Not sure what you'd call that, so I went with big tree.

wazsxr

New elf
For WS2814: 24v is one chip per 6 leds on strip. 12v is a chip every 3 leds. What you have is normal.
Ok, so I've learnt something today! I thought everything controlled by WS2812 and higher was individual. So do I need to stick with WS2812 or are there others I can go for?

wazsxr

New elf
O_O, big in my eyes... well bigger than the canes and 1m trees I have right now. I guess I need to step up the game a bit then, I knew it wasn't a mega tree so I went with the big description. How big do I need to go to qualify as BIG?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
Ok, so I've learnt something today! I thought everything controlled by WS2812 and higher was individual. So do I need to stick with WS2812 or are there others I can go for?
WS2812 is a WS2811 chip and LED in a single package. 5V only.

WS2814 is RGBW, not RGB. Are you meaning WS2815 which is a similar thing to 2812 but 12V capable?

Note that they all run the same protocol, it's just the way they all got together.

Can you give a close up photo of the top of the step, showing the LEDs as well as any other components? At least 6 LEDs in the photo would be good.

wazsxr

New elf
Ok, so to stick with the 12v that's on my Falcon controller I need to use any strip that is WS2815 to keep the individual addressable pixels?

Skymaster

Crazy elf
Global moderator
Generous elf
There's no reason why you have shouldn't work. But right now it's just second guessing as to what might be the issue. It's likely to be 60/10 strip based on what you said, but the notion of 2814 doesn't make sense.

Hence why I was wanting to see a photo to confirm the suspicion.
That said, if your want individual control strip, then yes, 2815 is the way to go for 12V, or GS8208 strip is another decent 12V alternative that gives that control.

Jase

New elf
If you haven't already, I would be connecting the grounds of the 2 power supplies (12v at falcon & 24v) as close to each other as possible with something beefy. Otherwise you could get a potential ground difference with reference to the data that might cause the LEDs to receive spurious signals on higher surge current draws. I use lots of WS2815 on my system and it works really well.

MikeKrebs

Full time elf
If these are "cut at 6" and that is where the problem appears to be, is it also soldered across that point? In which case, reflow the solder on the connections. I wouldn't expect solder there but you never know.

As others have suggested, I would definitely test continuity on the V+, data and ground lines as built and make sure they are all clearly going through or not as required.