INK1003 30LED/mtr, 30Pixel/mtr, @ 12V

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Doug, I gather by 3 of these you mean 15m. As a coincidence I have just sent jim an email asking for a quote for the e6804 and I said I was planning to use the ink1003 pixels. It will be interesting to see what the response is now.

I am also confused about the 60 vs 30 pixels/m thing. I thought it says they were 30. That's 1 every 3.3cm which looks about right for the photos. 60/m is 1 every 1.7cm. What's the verdict.

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
I ordered some of these to try on the PixLite and I must say, I am pretty impressed. They run fine (same protocol as WS2811) - but you have a major advantage here with the regulated system.

You basically avoid voltage drop being a concern, seeing as you can run them at 12v - but you get the advantage of single pixel control which you don't normally get with a 12v pixel strip. They are also the integrated style chip in LED (WS2812B style) which means reliability is much higher. There seems to be limited power losses in the 5v step down process as well.

I can't think of a situation where I would recommend a different pixel strip with what is currently available.

Kaden

Pixels! I need more pixels!
One thing I just thought of is, the 12v regulator helps with the voltage drop, but what about the current.

Anyone have any idea how much current we can safely run down the 12v line?

ltay13

Full time elf
Community project designer
Not sure specifically but the current capacity of the track shouldn't change based on the voltage, so you could run say 5A at 5V the same as 5A at 12V. However, because there is a 4th track in there it will be a little thinner than usual so that will have some effect.

Personally if I was using them I would be content with not having to use power injection for a full 5m reel and avoid trying to go beyond that piggybacking them even further. You definitely wouldn't have any issues then. Maybe someone can do some tests though and come back with a more definitive answer.

Habbosrus

Back again
I have been trying to factor in a matrix in my show this year. Originally I was going for ws2812b strip. If I use these, can Ray cut & supply in 2.5mtr lengths? Keeping everything 12v would be much easier. Coming up with the $$ is the hard part. But I'm back in the workforce again now, so a bigger, better show is on the cards. Hmmm, do you think I have CLAP? :D

BundyRoy

Dedicated elf
Habbosrus, from what I have read above these strips can be cut into multiples of 0.5m lengths if using 12v or whatever you want if using 5v and based on what others have told me Ray will cut whatever length you want. I've just sent him an email to get a quote for 10 x 3m lengths. Will let you know how I get on.

Habbosrus

Back again
I just got an email back from Ray that states,
"Dear Steve,
thanks for your reply.
but INK1003 30leds/m can be only cut each 1m,so it could not made to 2.5m long, how about the below 60lesd/m, it can be cut off each 0.5m long:"
So, for me at least, it's back to ws2812b's, if I scrape together the extra $$ before Chrissy.

Bill Ellick

Full time elf
AussieDoug said:
These lights are super bright, they can't be faulted so far by me.

I hit him up to see if he could make individually controlled 12v pixels that aren't like the INK1003s. All I got was a "I will see what I can do"

I would love to see this chip used in a configuration like these
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/12mm-WS2811pixel-module-string-IP68-DC12V-input-full-color-100pcs-a-string-Square-Shape/221277_1597675383.html!

This would make such a great mini or even large pixel tree I would think and the mounting style of the squares would make keeping the leds aligned so super easy.

arw01

Full time elf
Habbosrus said:
I just got an email back from Ray that states,
"Dear Steve,
thanks for your reply.
but INK1003 30leds/m can be only cut each 1m,so it could not made to 2.5m long, how about the below 60lesd/m, it can be cut off each 0.5m long:"
So, for me at least, it's back to ws2812b's, if I scrape together the extra $$ before Chrissy.

That's technically true if you don't buy the extra $1.50 each DC converters. They are good for about 30 pixels Ray told me, I was going to push them to 32 for pixicles. You could just plan on putting them on your odd piece, they solder onto the back bridging two sections.

damona

Full time elf
How long before you need power injections with these? 30/m 12v