Is there such a thing as a 3 channel DMX controller?

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Well, subject says everything! In any of the board suppliers out there is there such a thing in existence?

The backstory is I have some RGB LED floods, the controller I was using for them has been repurposed to control something else because it fits better. I have 2 floods I'm going to be using, rather than buy a big 20+ channel controller I don't need I just wondered if there was something DMX and suited to just running 3 channels? Ideas? Thanks guys.

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
I run about 40 small 3 channel ones designed by wjohn in Melbourne, based on the original pixel by JEC. Thats just one of many many different types out there that work well.

fasteddy

I have C.L.A.P
Global moderator
toodle_pipsky said:
Hey hey guys,
I ended up purchasing some of these fellas http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Easy-DMX-LED-controller-dmx-decoder-driver/701799_378113147.html. While I'm waiting for customs to release them, I thought I would ask, how do you address them? I'm guessing the dip switches will have something to do with it.
Thanks!

The dip switch is how you set the address.

so

1 = 1
2 = 2
3 = 4
4 = 8
5 = 16
6 = 32
7 = 64
8 = 128
9 = 256
10 = test pattern

so if you wanted a start address of 300 you would then turn on the appropriate dip switches to add up to the channel number you require

So for a start address of 300 you would have

dip 9 on (256)
dip 6 on (32)
dip 4 on (16 )
dip 3 on (4)

so that is 256 + 32 + 8 + 4 = 300

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
Ingrid, if you have a smartphone, android or iPhone have a look for an app to allow easy addressing of the DMX Boards. I use DMX Dip on the iPhone, but there are other free ones, or online generators available.

toodle_pipsky

Minister of Silly Walks
Received the 3 channel boards I ordered, hooray! Just another quick question, other DMX boards I have, have an output to pass the signal on, these guys don't. How do I pass the signal on? Thanks

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The DMX wires are "in and out" so to speak. So the controller just taps into the DMX signal which continues on to the next one.