Laptop ac adapter

cdjazman

Full time elf
Hello all. I am a newbie to the site and have been mentally exhausted looking at all the great information on here.
I am looking at upping the ante on my lights this year with the addition of some led strip lights. Being that I am a store manager and not a sparky for a living I would like to ask a question regarding the atached image of a laptop power supply I have spare.
The question is that would this be able to be used to run some 5050 smd strip lights? Also would the plug be able to be cut off and then attach the wires directly to the lights? (I did say I was not a sparky.... :) :) ;) :p )
Thanks in advance.
IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

cdjazman

Full time elf
Oh bugger - oh well looks like it stays in the box of bits then.

Thanks for the quick reply.

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
cdjazman, The power pack you are showing appears to be for a laptop. The light strips you want to run will come in 3v, 5v & 12v DC types. These strips run on DC voltage, not AC. The power supplies from a desktop computer (not a laptop) will give you those different DC voltages to run your strips. There are some links here in the forum to show you how to use a desktop power supply for this. Good luck with your project.

oldmanfathertime1000

Computers, music, audio, video, electronics
cdjazman, I may need to correct myself about the laptop power supply. It may be 20 v DC & not AC as I stated. However the 20 volts is not what you want, you still need the DC voltage (3v, 5v, 12v) that the strip calls for.