LED Ropelights

Shane

New elf
Hi Folks
I am looking to replace my 240V rope lights with some low voltage DC versions so they could be controlled by the DC boards.

Can anyone recommend some rope lights that are low voltage DC ?

Ideally I would like to be able to run the colours separately on a different channel so I can change colours.

Thanks in advance
Shane

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Community project designer
Generous elf
The 24V lit tree I got from Deals Direct was 24V AC. You can probably hack the rope lights to use with a DC controller.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Nothing wrong with rope light. It's a different effect than pixel strip.

How boring would it be if we all used exactly the same things in our display? :D

Shane

New elf
So true.

I am looking for the rope light to go around the garden edge, always liked that, but wanted to be able to change the colours to match the rest of my lights using the DC boards.

I was hoping to be able to separate the colours red/blue yellow/green in the rope lights.
Anyone know of any low voltage rope lights that would have this ability ??

Thanks
Shane

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
I'm not aware of any single rope light that has selectable colours.

Someone makes a RGBW flat rope, but it's basically 4 single colour ropes bonded next to each other. I bought a sample piece and didn't think it was worth it to be honest.

If you want RGB in the one package, getting some 12V RGB "dumb" strip will be the way to go. To get more of a rope light look, you could slide it into some translucent or clear tubing.

ShellNZ

Senior elf
Ray does have some RGB neonflex which is much like ropelight. Its quite costly tho and Im not sure whether the RGBW is in segments throughout the length or whether they can be controlled to be one color at the time.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/4wire-RGB-Color-LED-Neon-Flex-AC220V-110V-input-240leds-m/701799_583350387.html

or

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/LED-Neon-Flex-Light-2-wired-with-4-color-RYBG-LED-Neon-Flexible-Size-13-26mm/701799_299282971.html

Neon flex is heavier than ropelight so I would expect shipping to be a little hideous.

If interested tho have a chat to Ray and ask exactly what it does.

David_AVD

Grandpa Elf
Generous elf
Pity the RGB rope is 110/220V, not low voltage. :(

I think the one in the second link is just multicolour with a single channel (2 wire).

lithgowlights

Dedicated elf
David_AVD said:
I'm not aware of any single rope light that has selectable colours.

Someone makes a RGBW flat rope, but it's basically 4 single colour ropes bonded next to each other. I bought a sample piece and didn't think it was worth it to be honest.

I use about 80 meters of the RGBW flat ropelight on my house outline and it's good, but not great. I got it from SantasLEDLights in Qld a few years ago.