1. New to Christmas lighting? Get started with the AusChristmasLighting 101 Manual:
    auschristmaslighting.com/wiki/AusChristmasLighting-101

Looking to try and go even more green next year

Discussion in 'RGB Lights - Intelligent Pixels and 3-Channel RGB' started by joeengler, Nov 24, 2012.

1. joeengler

joeengler Apprentice Elf

2. Kaden

Kaden Pixels! I need more pixels!

$250+ batteries, converters, cabling etc for 60watts peak charging.

I am sure your electricity bill for the lights will be smaller.

Also going "green" means mining resources to build solar panels and batteries.

Not to mention that without smart chargers for your batteries, they will die early deaths (more cost, mining, landfill)

I don't mean to stomp on your idea, but going "green" requires more thought than just putting a solar panel up.

/mean rant

3. Bird

Bird Proud LOR user

Great idea, however why not think bigger. Instead of going green for a few weeks of the year, do a small solar setup that can be used all year long and consider it paying for the purchase of controllers and lights the other 48 weeks of the year. :)

4. 924aussie

924aussie Full Time Elf

I know this is an old posting, but has anyone gone this way. Looking at having a Garden light display year long and just changing the themes. In a Church area not in a private house.

5. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Is the main intent to have something that doesn't require a mains power connection?

6. 924aussie

924aussie Full Time Elf

YES,

Wanting to create a portable light display system using the Frames that hold water and or chemicals in.

We already have started on the tower with 5 "boxes" and are picking up a lot more shortly. All the frames are Pallets so a forklift can move them as needed.

At xmas it would be a tower and at other times reconfigured. Solar panels to charge a set of batterries etc in one or two of the "boxes" and the others just plug in as needed.

Alan

Attached Files:

7. David_AVD

David_AVD Bite my shiny metal ass!

Find Me On:
    Probably no reason you can't use a decent solar panel to charge one or more car batteries via a proper charger. Then use low voltage DC controllers (dumb or pixel) and 12V strips / strings?

8. 924aussie

924aussie Full Time Elf

Toowoomba has xmas lights in the local garden for a couple of weeks a year, being in Chinchilla we want to run a Garden full of lights all year and change the theme for different events. Most of it will therefore be RGB leds
    http://www.christmaswonderland.com.au/home/